uncleaned coins - before and after

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by singig, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Sorry, a bit late. But this coin has horn silver deposits on it and would greatly benefit from soaking in a sodium thiosulphate solution.

Also, a few of my recent cleaning projects, with a brief description:
    upload_2020-8-26_13-27-14.png
    upload_2020-8-26_13-27-31.png
    upload_2020-8-26_13-27-43.png

For silver coins I find the iron oxide (ie rust) the most difficult to remove. It's extremely hard. I would probably have to use a stronger acid than I'm used to.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! Now I gotta find some of the stuff...

4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Could this coin also benefit from cleaning?

gratian1.jpg

5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I think it could benefit from cleaning, but it'd be very tough going... :shifty: that green doesn't give up without a fight.

Edit: if you even did a little, I'd start only on the obverse bust and legend.

+VGO.DVCKS and singig like this.
  6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Bad photos but this Domitian denarius was bought from $9. It was covered with a black rocky crud. When I bought it, I could see good silver underneath so I was hoping the crud would come off. Anyway with several hours of picking, most of it did come off and revealed a pretty nice coin for the price.
    IMG_5294.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    Tools... a toothpick, fingernails and time.... there's still some discoloration I haven't tackled but may leave it like this. Sometimes, I wish I kept the crud on the coin as you don't see many sliver coins of this era left as-found.

Co1ns, finny, +VGO.DVCKS and 4 others like this.
  7. Roerbakmix

The depositions on your coin are horn silver and should dissolve in sodium thiosulphate.

+VGO.DVCKS and Orange Julius like this.
  8. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Is there a household name for that chemical? How risky (to myself and the coin) to use? Thanks!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I would try magic soup, it melts the green stuff.

10. Roerbakmix

If you search for horn silver and my name, you’ll find a lot of threads where I give a detailed walk through on the restoration of silver coins with HS

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Fausta after a few lye baths:

fausta.jpg

12. Justin Lee

It got a lot of the crispness and detail back. She's not hiding any more. I've been thinking about getting some lye for the occasional, more in-depth coin cleaning projects I have lye-ing around. ;)

Edit: Here is the before. (I had to go hunting to find it. Saving others the hassle :D)
    [​IMG]

13. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

That red stuff is incredibly hard to scrape off.

Justin Lee likes this.
  14. Justin Lee

I don't doubt it! I got a Claudius sestertius covered in red & green hard stuff with the plan to clean it. The green stuff wasn't too bad, dissolving with some work. I purchased some surgical scalpels to use that as I've heard of/seen some great results. But the red has been hard on my hands. I'm thinking lye might be the next step to see how productive it is.

Edit: Seller's before photos...
    [​IMG]

15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I wonder if rose spikes might help better than sharp object made of tougher metal than the coin?

Justin Lee and dougsmit like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have used splinters of ebony left over from my woodworking phase to good result. Rose thorns are a lot easier to find.

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I'm going to use them myself to see if what the toothbrush couldn't dislodge might be moved with some sharp thorns.

Justin Lee likes this.
  18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

And Fausta after some fiddling with a rose thorn around the bust and between the letters:

fausta2.jpg

19. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Nice details , I didn't notice the two children before.
    After the last bath keep the coin in water for a couple of days , the colour will get better.

seth77 likes this.
  20. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I started to clean coins from this lot(30$) received yesterday. I bought it mainly for two coins : the rarest DIVO type of Carus DIVO CARO PERS(icvs) and for the Constantius I large follis.

I will post some results tomorrow.

Hadrian , Aurelian , Carus , Numerian , Severina?
    Constans , Constantine I , ? , Constantius I
    Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

21. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Constantius I
    AE follis. Heraclea. 305-306 AD. RIC VI Heraclea 24a.
    IMP C FL VAL CONSTANTIVS PF AVG, laureate head right / GENIO POPV-L-I ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera from which liquid flows, and cornucopiae. Mintmark: HTΓ
    28 mm / 8.5 g constantius-I.jpg constantius-I-o.jpg constantius-I-r.jpg

Co1ns, seth77, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted