Uncirculated rolls NF Strings and Son

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Tim Sweet, Apr 20, 2019.

1. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

John Burgess likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I will say those golden dollars get fingerprinted up in no time at all. If they have been handled it's pretty obvious.
    As I understand it though the banks could order each design from the fed at the time for customers and get them ahead of the release date. They had to order at least 10 rolls of a design at a time, which in a lot of instances the banks put it on to the person wanting them to take them all if they placed and order unless they had a few people wanting them.

With presidential dollars it's possible to get full bank wrapped uncirculated rolls of the same design and mintmark even now if someone got them back then and set it aside. I will say this though the wrapper should have red stripes, with blue printing and say the presidents name, and $25 dollars and under that say N.F. String & Sons, inc. And the paper white so should be red white and blue.
    either way they say the presidents name on the wrappers.
    If it's all of these it's likely an original bank roll of uncirculated coin.
    Bank roll:
    [​IMG]

Then Mint Roll
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pictures aren't mine, I just picked up what I could that aren't watermarked. i checked them for redirect links, neither seems to have them but if it's a problem for this website for some reason, I apologize in advance.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  4. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

5. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The "String" roll simply states $25.00, no claim for anything, especially uncirculated coins.

6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

At the top of the roll, you can barely see it in this picture but it says the presidents name of the roll. The original wrapped rolls from the banks from the fed for each release dates were like this with each presidents name on them and they were solid new coin of that design, the only thing is you couldn't tell if it was P or D like you can with the mint rolls.
    Can look it up online or ebay they each identify what president design it is in those particular N.F. String wrappers. Those were used by the fed for the initial bank relases of each design.

7. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

these 3 coins fall into the uncirculated catagory . As you can see they are very different in tone, and year, but their condition is uncirculated. The one on the right is B/U because it retains the original luster. The others came from different varied rolls. The B/U came from a Brand new roll of weir farms quarters . You can find uncirculated coins in any roll.
    just trying to help you understand that uncirculated is a condition not a definition. My photo skills can't capture the bright shiny brilliance of the one on the right, but it looks Brand New!
    51C3E73A-D923-4107-A9CE-5087E8DFF2D8.jpeg 20AA0689-F569-4393-A22C-3804FBC52517.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    John Burgess likes this.
  8. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Probably a member here but some nice info on all types of coin paper rolls..
    I can't link it directly..

Attached Files:

9. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

They do circulate just not in the United States very well. They are popularly used in everyday commerce in Ecuador and El Salvador, and perhaps some areas in the Caribbean as well.

One can tell when Presidential and Sacagawea dollar coins have circulated outside of the U.S. when they are found to be quite worn and clearly used. I don't just mean with superficial fingerprints or toning, either.

juris klavins likes this.
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

I was unaware of the commercial usage in Central america - here in the USA, they're not seen in everyday transactions - my LCS guy used to give out the golden dollars as part of the change for cash purchases.

Draft saved Draft deleted