Uncirculated Quarter Rolls from 1999-present

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Feb 17, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

So one of things that was also handed off to me was this, very heavy, case of rolled quarters. I think obviously my dad was a fan of the state quarter program started in 1999. There is full uncirculated roll from each design and both mints. Looks like he started buying the rolls directly from the mint starting with the ATB program.

That’s 21 years. 5 designs a year. 2 mints. For 210 rolls weighing 105 lbs.

I’ll obviously finish it out with remaining 2020 & 2021 ATB designs.

I was actually surprised it was only 105lbs. Maybe because the density, as these are in fairly small boxes. I also learned that a pound of clad coinage was $20 face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yakpoo, Chuck_A, GH#75 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No offense, Brad, and I don't want to demean anyone in your family, but these rolls are only worth a tad more than face value unless you can find some major errors. I don't think it would even be worth it to complete the remaining set. Take it from the voice of experience. I had at least two Mint-wrapped P&D rolls for all of the SQ's (105 total), and when I sold them, I only made $100 more than face value. I couldn't even cover the purchase price from the Mint. ~ Chris

4. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

5. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Very cool @bradgator2! I’m curious to hear what you will do with all these coins.
    My Dad left behind 2 boxes of Unc Statehood Quarters, a complete box for all 50 states from each mint (Denver & Philadelphia). That’s 40 coins for each state and mintmark. He and my uncle obtained them, with each other’s help, by asking for and buying Unc rolls from friendly tellers at their banks. My uncle told me they only had to buy a handful of rolls (that they couldn’t find at the bank) from coin collectors.
    I talked to Mom about it and we decided to give each child, grandchild, and great grandchild a completed Dansco P&D State Quarter album. Each one had a page inserted in the back talking about how my Dad obtained the Unc rolls of quarters, how much he enjoyed coin collecting, and my Mom’s desire that the recipient would keep the album as a family heirloom in memory of my Dad. So far, I have completed 11 for the children and grandchildren. They were all jazzed to get them. The last line of the write up says, “Congratulations, you now own a part of Dad’s coin collection!”

6. bradgator2

No offense taken. I almost finished up the post with nearly an identical comment.

I cant spend them though. They were given to me and something he spent time on. It’ll be very little money to finish it with 2020 and 2021. In all reality, they dont take up that much space.

Thanks for the comment,
    Brad

ja59, Chuck_A and cpm9ball like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Of course the ones with any value are the S mints.
    I suppose mint state would have a slight premium, if they were sold
    by the roll in the OGP. But technically these were produced in massive numbers
    and the lowest mintage ones are Chaco Culture, El Yunque and Acadia.
    Collect what you like. And, if there is a sentimental family attachment, that makes it even more important. There is another poster here who collects these rolls, but
    seems to think all the coins are MS-70. I have tried to explain that's not possible. Continuing the collection is a good idea. The last park quarter is scheduled for the first part of 2021. However, there probably will be 50 more designs over the next ten years, so you may be on the hook.

8. bradgator2

I really dont know. Does “nothing” count? Lol

Brad

DEA and cpm9ball like this.
  9. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks very similar to what I have except I stopped after the original 50 state series but have 2 rolls of each P and D for most issues. I’m seriously contemplating dropping them in the coin star at my credit union and using the cash towards the purchase something that I really want. They are just sitting around taking up space.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

If they have sentimental value then by all means keep them and enjoy them. Collect what you like they say. Only you will know when to sell them.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with holding something for 30 years and enjoying them,
    and either passing them on, or selling them.
    But as a collectible, currently they are not worth much more than face.
    That could change in the future.

12. bradgator2

I was surprised to see the OGP rolls selling for $25 on ebay. What a nightmare trying to sell them just to try to squeeze out an extra few dollars.

But.... 2100 bucks sure would be nice and would instantly knock off a few things on my bucket list.

Might have to stew on this.

Michael K likes this.
  13. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Only a couple of dates that really bring a premium and then you have to find a buyer. Understand your idea of completing the set.

14. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

15. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

16. bradgator2

Sentimental? I would say not really. But there is this strange “guilt” I can get when I think about spending them. Although, the guilt did turn to a slightly evil grin when I figured I could get a sweet 89cc and 94 Morgan.

Enjoyment? I would peg that at zero. These dont move my needle.

I rage against my mom for basically shoving cash in her mattress or buying a CD at 0.05% interest. I am kinda thinking that storing these for 30, 40, 50 years is the same.

17. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I get BU rolls in square plastic tubes offered to me at face. My local convenience store loves the change.

tibor likes this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Ultimately, it's up to you, but putting this money back into a significant coin(s) that you wouldn’t have normally purchased would be a great remembrance of your father, IMO. Every time you see the 89-CC (or whatever you buy), it will be a reminder of him.

19. bradgator2

I appreciate the comment. I am rapidly warming up to this. The thought of selling them was the furthest thing from my mind when I started this thread.

So part B. If I cash them all out (with the intent of replacing).... Just straight up to the bank? Or would it be worth the energy to see if there is any small premium?

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Well these quarters will not make you hardly any money. If you sell them then you can get those Morgans you actually want. The guilt will pass. As you said this was something he did. There is not time limit on buying or selling coins. There was a time when I sold a gold sovereign coin for falling on bad times and needed the money. Do I regret it yes, but it was good knowing I had a gold coin worth money to help me in my time of necessity.

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

A coin shop might give you a small premium for those quarters. Call them before you go to the coin shop.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted