Uncirculated coin set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, May 17, 2017.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

They've been doing this since 1965 and then calling them regular uncirculated coins. In a sense they are no different since they are indistinguishable from a well made circulation issue.

They didn't admit mint set coins are made like this until 1997.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I ordered one just for the heck of it.:banghead:

5. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Seems like they discontinued them for quite a few years and then brought them back. Since the mint sets might include silver coins and these were just the clad versions. But it has been a while since I had any. I think they are great for junior collectors because they are a less expensive way of starting a collection of nice coins that are much better than pocket change.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

These sets have been made every year I've been a collector except for 1982 and 1983. Arguably, the 1965 through 1967 versions were even nicer. There is NO difference between a "mint set" and an "uncirculated set" - it means the same thing.

fish4uinmd likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

Where did you get this idea?

8. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

In reading over the past few months it seems to me that I read there was a gap (60s or 70s) where the Mint did not think they were popular and discontinued them in favor of proof sets. However, I reserve the right to be wrong! Just ask my wife!

hic likes this.
  9. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Per Wiki =- "The Uncirculated Sets, or Mint Sets, contain specimens of coins that are typically minted for general circulation. The first such sets were sold in 1947 in cardboard panels with two coins for each issue, thus showing the obverse and reverse of each one. Such sets were, with the exception of 1950, annually produced through 1958. In 1959 a plastic soft pack of single coins was sold and these were annually offered through 1964. In 1965-7 "special mint sets", a higher level of uncirculated coins, replaced both mint and proof sets. With the exception of 1982-1983, mint sets have been issued every year since 1968. (For 1982 and 1983 collectors sometimes buy the annual "souvenir sets" struck by the Philadelphia and Denver mints, which are very similar to the official Treasury-issued mint sets."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Mint_coin_sets#United_States_Mint_Uncirculated_Coin_Set

After reading this I reserve the right to be partially right, and partially wrong.

Endeavor likes this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That would be the 1965 - 67 era when the proof and mint sets were replaced by the Special Mint Sets. But the Mint sets came back in 1968 and have been made every year since then except for 82 and 83.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

As do we all.

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Kind of gives me a warm cozy feeling to just be partially right about something these days!

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

What has changed (both directions) over the years is the extent to which uncirculated set coins received special attention or handling. It seems to have varied from "none that I can see" to "considerable".

14. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Kurt:

Some years have special finish coins and are nothing like circulation strike coins. (2005-2010)

Endeavor likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

You're talking 2005-2010, wherein the difference was OBVIOUS - a whole different finish, but that's an exception. Most years, a TPGS has no way to discern a real "business business" strike from an uncirculated set strike.

THEORETICALLY, there could be a way to tell later-in-the-year releases of quarters from their corresponding uncirc. set versions, since the latter now exists and the former doesn't yet.

Canada has a different theory - strike any stinking finish you can imagine, and then go imagine some more, every year.

By the way, at the October 2016 meeting at the Philly Fed (just the building made some bullionistas fidget), the Mint announced, to that crowd in attendance, hand-picked by them, that reverse proof SETS were coming. More Canada-style stuff.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

About time.

17. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Can someone explain to me why they would create a reverse proof set?

The sales of Proof Sets has been dropping for years. Why create another set that doesn't sell?

jester3681 likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Because some people really like reverse proofs, and it's finally something different then the same thing they do every year. Either way their proof sets are profitable anyway

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

In the hopes that this one might spark some new interest. More 'granny bait', and yes, I'm a sucker..........:)

Johndoe2000$ and baseball21 like this.
  20. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Souvenir sets are in no way similar to regular mint sets. Coins for souvenir sets are just pulled from the regular production lines.

This is why there are no true Gem '82 and '83 coins.

21. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

On the higher end the reverse proofs with the American Eagles both gold and silver, and Gold Buffalo have all received nice receptions and continue to enjoy nice premiums. Since the quantity issued is likely to be lower than other proof coins there is more potential for interest (and gain) down the road. If you look around the world most of the major mints issue reverse proofs as a way to showcase the skill of their engravers and services. I think they make a nice addition to a set and certainly present a different looking coin in the mix.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    hic likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted