UNC v MS.....the GSA Enigma

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C G Memminger, Mar 29, 2015.

1. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

All GSA Morgans, in the GSA slabs, are, by definition, uncirculated. But....some of these coins looked like chewed-up rabbits. Issued as "Mixed Carsons," with a little card explaining why...and sold by the GSA at a discount.

My question: Has anyone ever obtained a sub-60 grade on a GSA?

2nd question: If answer above is NO...would N or P be willing to thrash a horrible GSA with an AU grade!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

There are black GSA holders that don't say uncirculated on them.

4. C G Memminger

Jpc: yes. Those are the GSAs to which I refer.

And yes, I am aware that some of these "rejects" were tarnished coins. And yes, I am aware that some these tarnished coins were rainbows. I'm talking about the ones with track marks across the lady's face from the reeds of another coin in the 1000 coin bag, as it bumped and rattled its way, 2800 miles, BY RAIL.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    JPeace$ likes this.
  5. C G Memminger

I would love to own a GSA with an NGC ribbon showing an AU 58.

JPeace$ likes this.
  6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

In your original post, you indicated that ALL GSA's are by definition uncirculated. I was just pointing out that some of the GSA's were not considered uncirculated and were put in black holders without the words "uncirculated" on the cover.

It would be cool to find an AU58 in a black GSA holder.

7. C G Memminger

JPC. This is the enigma. Some of these GSA dogs, if cracked from their GSA slabs, and submitted for grading, would, undoubtedly, be sub-MS. I want to have the first ( assuming it has not already happened) GSA WITH A 58. Can it happen?

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Agree. I am very careful when buying GSA CC coins. They are liberally graded.

I think it can happen that one will eventually graded that way. It's possible, but not probable.

I just checked NGC census for only the CC hard pack GSA's. Not one AU grade for any year.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

When the GSA coins were counted and separated the people doing the counting and separating didn't really know coins. As a result some were labeled unc that were not unc, and some were labeled circ that were not circ.

Now you might say but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the TPG says they are unc or not. And you're right, it shouldn't. But the population numbers say otherwise. And that all by itself speaks pretty loudly.

10. C G Memminger

Well, Boss Man...insofar as none of them had ever been in circulation...then they are unc by definition. Which makes for the really FUN notion of an unc GSA fetching an AU 55. Of course, this is all semantics. under the grading scales I learned as a kid in the 60-70s, UNC meant a grade disrelated to whether or how long coin was "in circulation." The legal definition does not necessarily dovetail with the numismatic definition.

Still..the TPGs seem to adhere to the notion that a coin which, demonstrably, has never been in circulation, must be awarded a minimum grade of 60.

It is my goal to get NGC or PCGS to go sub-60. Do I hear an Amen?

11. GDJMSP

A bit of confusion here I think. First of all, some of the coins sold in the GSA sales had been in circulation.

Secondly, the numismatic definition of unc is a coin that has no wear. And yes, even PCGS says that. The way they get around it and grade coins with wear as unc is to call that wear by another name - friction. And yeah, I agree, that is nothing more than semantics.

12. C G Memminger

Agreed on the circ GSAs...but I've only seen them in soft packs.

13. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I think those softpack GSA offerings are uber cool ... especially the gsa seated dollar

14. GDJMSP

Are you aware that more than a few of the coins in those soft packs have been graded as unc by the TPGs ? Along with those in the hard cases that were not marked as unc ?

15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@GDJMSP , I've seen the soft packs graded MS, certainly.

If memory serves, the GSA did not hire experts to sort the coins in the bags and that's why some of the Soft Pack GSA's are actually MS.

16. C G Memminger

Boss Man: not surprised that some softies graded MS. But I have not seen a hard case GSA sub-60. Which was my question, at the top of this thread.

17. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

It cracks me up that you call GDJMSP "Boss Man" -- don't do it too much, he doesn't need a bigger head than he already has ;)

18. GDJMSP

What you have to remember is that a very large percentage of the coins from the GSA holders were removed from their original packaging because for many years they could not be graded if they were in the original packaging. And yeah, more than a few of them were graded AU.

Draft saved Draft deleted