Unboxing a Big Box of Korean Coins from NGC

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mlov43, Oct 17, 2022.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Neat. Thanks for sharing.

My wife and I do Orchid Unboxing videos.
    May I suggest you remove the label with your address off the box. If you don't want anyone to know where you live o_O

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Where do I live?

5. paddyman98

Edina MN 55435

6. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

A label with full name and address is clearly visible in the video. If it's not your address, fine, but it's someones address you are probably related to / business with, so you should probably obfuscate that in the slim chance someone wants to be nefarious.

Unless that is a totally fake name, fake address, and fake label, and then I will say hats-off to you for messing with people. :pompous:

CoinCorgi and paddyman98 like this.
  7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

That's a pretty big area... Can you narrow it down a bit?

Probably not able to, huh? And that's the point.

Anyway, if "nefarious" people wanted to find my address, that would be a much more simple task than trying to read the illegible, pixelated print in this video for my street address. All they'd have to do is search just a little bit. I am selling a book with my full name on it(!); a name that is not common at all! Starting with that would easily get you there....

8. paddyman98

I'm just trying to help you my friend.
    I wasn't trying to start any trouble.
    Good advice.. A thanks would suffice o_O

Capture+_2022-10-17-11-56-53.png

Tracking number 2787 5049 0741 :watching:

9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nice coins. Nice video.

Nice apartment too! Too much snow if you ask me (based on google street view of your building).

corgi-plow.gif

imrich and paddyman98 like this.
  10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

No trouble at all...

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

And that's something ANYBODY can find.

Especially since I've been promoting my book: I have to put my (very unique) name out there in the public, and in lots of different venues (book reviews, articles, podcasts -all online). All of that would be a much more likely possible source of any "bad people" out to rob me, and not the address briefly displayed in this YouTube video(!)

The problem is that my name is so unique (I believe there is only ONE person with my name in the USA!), that just my name (correctly spelled) is tantamount to almost instant discovery of my address and phone number in the context of the internet.

I hope this explains why I don't really care about the address label.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    CoinCorgi and paddyman98 like this.
  12. paddyman98

Ok. Some others I have advised never noticed or realized the problems that could occur. I just thought I would help. But if you're not worried about it then fine.

Be on the lookout for 20 boxes of pizza I ordered and had them delivered to your address! :hilarious: C.O.D.

CoinCorgi and mlov43 like this.
  13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Still...too much snow! ;)

14. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Nice video and I could care less about addresses and/or names. My question is why you would spend all that money to a TPG to get that many relatively common coins graded. Isn't a "won" monetarily worth well less than 1 cent?

mlov43 likes this.
  15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I appreciate that...
    Well, I'm not going to sell these coins at "exchange rate," but rather as collector coins.

As collector coins, they are low-end, very true. However, I've seen enough evidence that seems to prove that these coins can still turn a small profit, even with the grading fees and my initial price for the coins. Only a handful of them were more than $10 for any one of those coins, if they weren't entirely free as gifts, as the nicer specimens and proofs were).

For these low-grade coins (61s and 62s), it was either get them graded like this and have the chance to be able to "move them," or have them sell for even less.

There was another option I considered: Just hold onto them until the market for even these pieces starts to appreciate. I already have coins in my S. Korea collection that I currently could NEVER afford to buy now, but that were unbelievably cheap around 15-20 years ago. Perhaps these lower-grade pieces will eventually appreciate in value among the evidently growing number of collectors in Korea?

In the end, I'm sort of taking a chance on them...

16. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Well, judging from EBay "sold" prices, you will be waiting many many years before you even realize the grading costs. Anyway, good luck. 10 won today is equal to 1 Canada cent.

mlov43 likes this.
  17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

If I were to sell them now on eBay, that could be true.

I have access to more than just the eBay market. In Korea, they currently sell for much more than you see in the last 3 months of eBay sold listings(!)...eBay is full of COMMON-date dross nowadays, as far as S. Korea is concerned. Nowhere near to the number of key dates in high grade that existed on the U.S. eBay platform back in the early 2000s... Although most of those coins in my video may be low grade, none are common dates or strikes.

And I think 10 won is worth a lot less than 1 Canadian cent!
    1.png

Anyway, selling these coins now is not my plan.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    paddyman98 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

Some snarky people :bored:........:hilarious:

Anyways

@mlov43
    Hey.. Have you had any other articles published since Feb 2017?

I just remembered this one. I got the issue..
    IMG_20170204_144847_9442.jpg

Burnside_Q and mlov43 like this.
  19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yeah, I remember you posting that photo! I'll never forget it, nor your kindness for doing that... You're a class act, Paddy. Seeing that helped me think that writing more might be worth it. I really do appreciate that!

Yes, CoinWeek featured a series of my web articles (re-edited for their online magazine) from 2015 - 2017, and I've written some for the Journal of East Asian Numismatics (JEAN) from 2017 to earlier this year. I have also been writing on Medium.com.

A full list of my writings is below. There's more, but these are the important ones.

*South Korean Coins in the Era of Development (August 2022)

*Articles at Medium: https://medium.com/@mlovmo/main-index-to-my-stories-87d7537de19b

*CoinWeek Online (2015 ~ 2017)

*COINage Magazine (Vol. 53, February 2017)

*Journal of East Asian Numismatics
    Issue 25, August 2017;
    Issue 32, May 2019;
    Issue 35, January 2020;
    Issue 37, July 2020;
    Issue 44, April 2022

*International Journal of Korean History (Vol. 4, August 2003)

*The Royal Asiatic Society (Korea Branch) Transactions (Vol. 78, 2003)

The Eidolon and paddyman98 like this.
  20. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I really like that bimetallic medal!

mlov43 likes this.
  21. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I sold many of the coins that I got graded in this NGC submission.
    Here are many of results... Most of these surprised even me.

1.png

2.png

Draft saved Draft deleted