Ummmm... 0nly $19k for an UNC DETAILS IMPROPERLY CLEANED 1893 Columbian Expo...Proof!??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kurisu, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

That's what I'm saying. This guy surely has resources and knowledge.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vertigo

This guy is a roundtable authorized dealer. Idk what this roundtable dealer thing is. But this is the second authorized roundtable dealer I've spotted on ebay doing something dishonest. Not going to name names here but there is another one. He is a well respected numismatist here in New England. Yet on eBay in his auctions he adjusts contrast to hide flaws. He will disclose light cleaning, but hides it. I bought one from him he said wasn't. In hand it was plain obvious. I bought it because I trusted his reputation. I returned it because it was junk and he was dishonest. The coin was a fine and he submitted to ngc and got a straight f15 grade. Even the ngc pictures showed the obverse wipe. Not the first cleaned cbh straight graded. So he was selling it now in the slab. You put the picture side by side and you can see there was some adjustment. Because the white on the slab in the ngc pictures and the white in his were different. The coin even looked like it did in his old pictures but nothing like the ngc pictures. I'm sure he sold that to someone who buys the slab. I don't trust even the best on the bay...

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The man did nothing dishonest, no more than you have. He has his own opinion and so do you. You can't question someones honesty for that. Lets be fair.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think it’s stupid of him to list it as such. I say that because it can come off as misrepresentation. If his opinion is that it is a proof then he should not list it as a proof till it’s in a proof holder.

micbraun likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't argue with that but don't feel he is actually wanting to sell the coin. He has it listed to draw attention and open debate. It's been going on for many years.

7. Vertigo

And he calls it BU. A brilliant uncirculated proof. That was improperly cleaned. I doubt we'd know about the cleaning if not for ngc...

8. Vertigo

Here's another one he's selling....

9. Vertigo

NGC knew that this coin was a proof? Yet failed to recognize both of his? The image is of the 1892. Yet they knew what it was. And not one, but two of his coins failed to be recognized? Screenshot_20211206-102145_Chrome.jpg

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A few years ago a dealer had a gold dollar that both of us thought was a Proof. PCGS had graded it as an MS-65. The coin had my interest, but his price was the Proof amount, even though the piece was not in a holder that was marked "Proof."

For me, that was hard pass. If you want Proof money for the coin, get it in a Proof holder. If I had bought the coin, it would have been my responsibility to send the coin in for grading and take that chance that it came back as a Proof. The seller was taking no risks at all. The same concept applies here.

Vertigo, markr, AdamL and 1 other person like this.
  11. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Looking at his other listings he has an 1895-O $1 PCGS MS61 listed as "proof-like" not designated as such. An 1829 5c NGC MS64 listed as "proof", but here the description says "In our opinion this coin is proof. We do not always agree with third party." I guess you have to trust his opinion over a TPG, but when a buyer goes to sell, it's not in a "Julian says" slab.

Vertigo, C-B-D, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

At the very least, based on what I've seen from other sellers, he should treat us to a two-page wall of text explaining why it's clearly a proof and why those bozos at the TPGs keep misgrading it. I mean, how are you going to convince us that NGC has Done You Wrong if you can't even muster a good rant over it? :rolleyes:

ddddd, Vertigo and C-B-D like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Where's my check book?

Vertigo likes this.
  14. Vertigo

After I saw the SECOND "proof" id seen enough...

baseball21 likes this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Draft saved Draft deleted