Um... what is this "blackened" 1922 Peace Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BoredOnHere, May 6, 2016.

1. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

I've never seen toning like this before.... I don't think it's toning?

The details in Liberty's hair are far greater here than on my MS65 slabbed and 1922 UNC ungraded Peace Dollars. As well as the sharp, narrow spikes leading from the head.

Anybody know? IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3190.JPG IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3190.JPG IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3193.JPG IMG_3192.JPG IMG_3191.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Tarnish of some sort or a layer of silt. Could have been around a smoker or near moisture.

You might try soaking it in acetone, but whatever you do - don't try to rub it off or clean it. It's a nice looking coin under that layer of gunk.

I have a few like that... Dirty girls! ;)

4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I agree.

I really like how it brings out the details in her hair.

Is the weight what you would expect?

5. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

Yeah, it weighs the same. It came in a roll of estate Peace Dollars

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is a toned Peace Dollar. It is not MS 65 for sure, but is a pretty nice coin. That is chocolate colored toning, which is actually not unusual at all.

Paul M. and medoraman like this.
  7. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

Well at least it's gradable (not environmental damage). I kind of like the look as is.

Darn. And part of me was hoping this was some sort of weird low relief matte proof b/c of the thin spikes & detail in hair on the obv.

8. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

You could e-mail me some large image files to review - oh wait - you already did. :cigar:

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with Morgandude, toned peace dollar. I have seen similar from estates. Sometimes they get stored in bad containers, like oak, and will accelerate toning to this state. Dry oak will lead to dark toning, but usually not corrosion, (matte black in color and gritty, if you ever see this assume the coin underneath is corroded).

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Just dark toning, borderline environmental damage.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Dark toning and an incredible strike. I really like it

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

amazing strike.

could it be one of the extremely rare high relief 1922's?

nah, just my imagination

13. BoredOnHere

BoredOnHere New Member

nah, not it's definitely not high relief. was hoping for matte PF low-relief. oh well. -- speaking of which, how do you tell a 1922 satin-proof or matte proof peace dollar?

i've just never seen silver coins toned like this. not to this extent at least :/

Morgandude11 likes this.
  14. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Fabulous strike. That might push it to MS 65. I had initially thought no way, but looking at it again, I think it may well be a gem coin under that heavy toning. I really like it also, as it is original and not a typical light dip job Peace Dollar.

That toning is not at all unusual for Peace Dollars--I have owned a few like that. The chocolate toning is like seated coinage, but on a much more recent coin. Often they are misgraded, as one doesn't see really nice surfaces beneath the heavy tone. Trade Dollars often have this kind of toning.

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Too many marks for 65. A technical 63 with a bump to 64 for strike

Cascade likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I can't tell if she is AU or MS. Your pictures have glare or blurriness in just the wrong spots. However, I am leaning towards AU.

Draft saved Draft deleted