UM, MAYBE JUST A LITTLE TOO MUCH ? I DO LOVE THE TONED COIN

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Nov 20, 2021.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

So, many like me enjoy finding toned Peace dollars, along with Morgans. I came across this one and bought because of the deep, dark rainbow look on the obverse and golden toning reverse. Now in hand, I really like it and here are pics both in natural light and indoor lighting. So I ask, what is too much for you, are you like "yeah I'll get all I can" or, "Whatever" you can have it ? Bring on the pictures. 23 p o 1.jpg 23 p r 1.jpg 23 p o 2.jpg 23 p r 2.jpg

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It has a little too much toning for me. The reverse is OK, but the obverse looks like it has been colored. Not saying it was, it just looks like it.

Mountain Man and bear32211 like this.
  4. bear32211

I understand, like they took blue and streaked it across when dropped red across it. Thanks.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Looks AT.

bear32211 likes this.
  6. bear32211

I'd like to ask why AT. I've read up on AT and NT but always differing opinions across the board. To me an AT coin would look like someone used a blow torch to a side of the coin, thus a circular color in the middle of the coin, you know what I mean ?

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

and I shall name her "Blotchy"...

MIGuy and bear32211 like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The problem is that AT and NT can be chemically and physically identical. Everyone has an opinion on what looks natural and what looks artificial. Lots of people think they can reliably distinguish between the two. Some of them are right, most of the time. Or maybe it's that most of them are right, some of the time.

bear32211 and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Just a little too much . . . for me.

Inspector43 and bear32211 like this.
  10. bear32211

This is where it is so hard to decipher when understanding AT and NT and knowing if your coin is one or the other. Me, I guess I roll the dice but again, if it's eye appeal, I go for them.

11. bear32211

Does this appeal to any of you with this 1891 ? I know, a complete opposite but... 91 tone.jpg

12. bear32211

Mountain Man how about below or above pic

13. Mountain Man

? Not sure what you are asking.

bear32211 likes this.
  14. bear32211

I put a 1891 Morgan with rim toning, was not sure how heavy or how light you like toning.

15. Mountain Man

Minimal natural toning, but I like blast white in most coins.

Inspector43 and bear32211 like this.
  16. bear32211

Absolutely, blast white with minimal to no bag marks are a beautiful coins.

MIGuy and Inspector43 like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

To me this does not look natural at all. Again my opinion. How many other peace dollars have you ever seen with toning look like this 1 ???

18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

AT. Unnatural colors on the obverse.

bear32211, Inspector43 and spirityoda like this.
  19. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I find the toning on the Peace dollar to be beyond excessive, whether it's AT or NT. It would have no place whatsoever in my collection.

The thing is, I didn't buy it, so my opinion doesn't mean a hill of beans. @bear32211 your opinion is the ONLY one that matters. You like it? If so why are you looking for others to validate your purchase? Enjoy it and look at it often. It'll make you happy.

20. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

I've toning like this appear on silver coins that had an acetone bath followed up with MS70 then left out in the open to pick up ambient moisture and sunlight.

bear32211 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted