Ultra Rare Mint Error - 1948 S Lincoln "LIBERTV" Cent.. VALUE?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mpl, Feb 27, 2022.

1. mpl

mpl New Member

20220227_133931.jpg 20220227_133825.jpg 20220227_133739.jpg 20220227_133926.jpg 20220227_134144.jpg 20220227_134220.jpg 20220227_134256.jpg 20220227_133953.jpg 20220227_133953.jpg Found this gem in my late fathers massive collection (60 years of errors) of upgraded US error coins. I believe it was struck through grease causing the Y to appear as a V. The reverse also shows signs of die transfer or something (not an expert) within the lettering.

Let me know what you think. Listing for / or selling is only allowed in the FOR SALE subforum, and there are specific rules to follow.
    I have tons of photos, video will be linked soon. Be sure to switch to 1080p or 4k for best results. Likewise, limitation on photos and video may be limited. You can only list once a week unless you are a Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

The Y is damaged.

Not an error

4. mpl

mpl New Member

It is larger on the coin than the rest of the word, damage from an impact would not stretch the lettering

5. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

Damage mashed it flat!

John Burgess and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Worth one cent.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Copper is rather soft and subject to deformation from impacts. That's what happened here. This is a common occurrence on a common coin, so its value is only a couple of cents.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nope. Circulation hit.
    DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged

Worth just 1 Cent

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Damage. 1 Cent.
    What makes you think that one random coin out of all of the cents minted that year just happened to use a single die with a "V" instead of a "Y"?

Inspector43 and Pete Apple like this.
  10. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

lol

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Oh dang. I missed that.
    What a durp.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  12. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Yes, it absolutely would

Pete Apple likes this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@mpl …don’t feel like the Lone Ranger, we’ve all had a few bubbles burst along the way. Better you hear the truth now as you go through your fathers’ coins.

Go to doubleddie.com. Read the sections listed there, especially How Dies Are Made and Worthless Doubling. Because you are gonna find that, as you proceed, you need to know this criteria, if you haven’t read it yet.

AND…go to error-ref.com to learn what true errors are. You have a unique opportunity here…don’t just try to sell your Dads’ coins, learn about them…become a better collector…collecting is not just about what a coin is worth.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This.

It is, however, worth more than one cent. It’s an S-Mint Wheatie, after all. So it’s worth a few cents, plural.

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@mpl - soliciting sales or swaps is not permitted on the discussion boards. There is, however, a For Sale forum where it is allowed, once you’re through the short probationary period and have read the rules posted at the top of that board. Welcome to CT. (That’s CoinTalk, not Connecticut. LOL.)

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree with the assessments of the others, this coin has suffered damage and is only worth a couple cents at the most.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OK thanks for the warning. If you don't mind my asking, why are you even putting up with this? If they're errors, return them and get your money back. Or at least insist on good ones. Don't let them get away with this, it's not fair, you paid good money for these. Don't be a fool. You have rights. Just because they're the US Mint, that doesn't mean they can push you around!

18. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Second this. This would be a good learning opportunity to find out about the Mint process, particularly the planchet, die, and strike, and all the errors and varieties that can happen with these.

Draft saved Draft deleted