Ultimate 1893-S Morgan Dollar - PCGS MS 67 (CAC) - for sale

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Revello, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

Purportedly finest known by 2 full grade points. Current bid: $1.23 million (little over 2 days to go to end of auction). Get yer check book out.

Great Collections auction site: 1893-S Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-67 CAC (Toned) (Ex. Jack Lee, Coronet) (Item 1032590) | GreatCollections Coin Auctions

Snippet of history provided by Great Collections about this coin:

"This 1893-S has a long history in the world of coins, mostly with the numismatic family of Cornelius Vermeule, who himself, acquired it at the time of mintage, before passing through generations of the same family until it was finally sold by a New York firm for a record-breaking $414,000 in 2001. The coin was auctioned uncertified/raw, which is hard to believe in today's market for such a high value and important piece and was acquired by Morgan dollar expert Jack Lee. Counting the Vermeule family as one, there has only been four owners of this coin since it was minted almost 130 years ago."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

That is some ugly toning on that coin. Bidding in $10,000 increments yikes. Rich peoples.:greedy::greedy::greedy:

john65999, johnyb, kountryken and 6 others like this.
  4. Revello

Well, to remedy the toning problem, you can buy it, crack it out of the slab, do a quick coin dip in EZest to get the toning off, and then resubmit it to PCGS, and see how that goes, lol.:woot:

Vertigo, spirityoda and NOS like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

For my 1.2 million I can think of many more world coins I would rather have than this coin.

Millard and Vertigo like this.
  6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I could buy my house and car with %90 of all that dough still remaining.

spirityoda and Revello like this.
  7. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

As I know nothing about this particular dollar other than what I just read here and on the GC page, tend to think it was somehow special-ordered...something a man of means could do in those days...seeing how it was removed from the press with gloved hands and neither ever touched paper or canvass. Wonder if 1893 was a special year for the Vermeule family. That said, it must have had some varied storage and other exposures to accumulate such toning...and when does such excessive/extreme toning cross over to become environmental damage.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I suspect your taste would be much different if you could easily afford million dollar coins. All our tastes would be different

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Well, in general GC photos are not flattering (a GOOD thing, imo) but you can bet that the high bidders have seen this coin in hand. Several people on the CU forum have and believe that it is spectacular. As to a dip, that was done by a conservation service to the Norweb specimen and by all accounts it was ruined. This coin was owned by Jack Lee who was the recognized top dog for Morgans for many years.

NSP, baseball21 and Revello like this.
  10. Revello

Well, I'd like to have the opportunity to expand my taste palate ... so anyone want to toss me a couple of million $ ?

(Go Air Force, beat Navy!)

11. Revello

Wow, guess I'll have to read up/be more familiar with the Norweb specimen and its "restoration".

12. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I gotta say, even if I HAD 1.2 million free to spend, I wouldn't drop it on THAT coin. To me it has ZERO eye appeal.

john65999, johnyb and kountryken like this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

No worries, your $1.2 million won't be close to buying this coin. That's the current bid with a couple days to go till the hammer comes down. So start spending your $1.2 on world coins ;)

14. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

This auction is not so much about that butt ugly coin, it's more about the label/ provenance and even more about bragging rights....

15. baseball21

Was gonna give you a like till that last line lol.

Cheech9712 and Revello like this.
  16. baseball21

That’s really not true at all.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 and Revello like this.
  17. Dave Waterstraat

Which part?

18. baseball21

Pretty much all of it to be honest.

19. Dave Waterstraat

OK so we agree to disagree. I stand at that's an unattractive coin and pretty much everyone on the two forums I frequent agree. And yeah, if I had the change to drop on that one and landed it I would be bragging...

Cheech9712 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I highly disagree with this policy. How can you guarantee that the coin wasn't stolen or it's pedigree? Safe and secure can not be at the same time, confidential.

21. baseball21

It’s not a flattering pictured by most accounts. The majority of people commenting on it have never seen it myself included. That said though you don’t become a million dollar coin from that collection at that grease with cac being butt ugly. You also don’t just drop that kinda money chasing labels or for bragging rights. Most buyers at that level don’t like being known until they go to sell.

But yea if I was buying million dollar coins a Morgan wouldn’t be one of them.

Revello likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted