UK proposes changes to Treasures Act

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Numisnewbiest, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Speaking of gold coins, currently it takes two to make a treasure - the proposed changes to the Treasure Act would make any single gold coin dated from between 43 AD and 1344 AD a treasure. I'm not in the gold coin range, so I don't know how this would affect export of them, but I assume it would make that a whole lot more difficult.

teasure.JPG

The good news is that they want your input to their proposals - information on how to respond is on page 9:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...nd_revising_the_related_codes_of_practice.pdf

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Price bump on those that are available.

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm confused by the wording:

"...single gold coins dated between AD43, the beginning of the Roman period, and 1344, the year that Edward III successfully re-introduced English gold coinage."

5. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I think it's sloppy wording, forgetting or ignoring Roman gold struck prior to Claudius' invasion. If enforced literally, it should mean that--say--aurei of A. Hirtius are not covered by this revision. I don't know how many such coins have been found in the UK--not terribly many, although it's a common enough coin in general--but the oversight can only help collectors... again, if it's applied literally.

Phil Davis

6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I suspect the wording was chosen to allow Celtic gold, such as the quarter staters, to avoid the "treasure" designation if found singly. Celtic gold is extremely scarce but not rare like British Roman and Anglo-Saxon gold.

Orfew and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted