UK Grading

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by coinguy47, Oct 29, 2002.

1. coinguy47

coinguy47 New Member

Hello to all, I'm Tom. I'm new to this group, and I could use your expertise. Can anyone explain the difference between the way the English and Americans grade coins. What Americans call 'AU' the English call 'EF'. Would that mean that an English 'VF" would be an American 'EF"? How am I ever going to keep this all straight? Thanks for your help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

The general gist is that European grading is stricter, by about a grade, than U.S. grading. But, hey, that's only a general opinion. We deal with individual coins and individual dealers/collectors so seeing the actual coin is really the only way to judge. Some may use that "rule" as an excuse for their version of grading versus the other. Each coin type has it's own high points of design to judge its grade by. Comparing U.S. and Brit coins would be like comparing apples and oranges: there comes a point to where it's eay to tell if it's just been picked or if it's already rotten but anywhere in between is a matter of individual opinion and contention that can only be settled by longtime experience and an honest appraisal.

4. Jess

Jess Senior Member

8O As long as the grading standards are consistent, use whichever one you choose. Dealers are biased to the higher grade, your job is to convince them of its lower and obtain the coin at a fair price. Most dealers will haggle with you.

5. coinguy47

coinguy47 New Member

My main concern is that I have a catalogue fron Great Britain and I want to be sure I'm reading it correctly. Thanks for your replies.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This is a version of how international grading compares to US grading -

http://www.acadiacoins.com/educate.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted