UK 2016 Coins Released

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FitzNigel, Nov 5, 2015.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I know there are a number of UK coin collectors here, and I'm sure the majority of you are fractional collectors, but I personally enjoy the decimal coins - particularly some of the new commemoratives illustrating Britain's history. Well, the 2016 set is out, and there are a whopping five £2 commemoratives (2 of them celebrating Shakespeare).

Anyway, I'm excited. And here's the Royal Mint's photo of the proof set:
    image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Only two? Ha! ;) Image from the mint's overview page below.

Christian

uk16comm.jpg

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

You're Right! I missed one... Too focused on the 50p battle of Hastings...

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Tempting. Very tempting. Geteth thee behind me Satan and don't push........

6. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

I like them but I'll wait and pick them up in my change. They need too get their Arse into gear and issue the 2015 commemoratives though rather than pushing next years !

7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

They already have! I suspect the commemoratives will be harder to find in change since the craze over the 2009 Kew gardens 50p, but I don't like in the UK anymore, so I couldn't really say...

8. mark240590

Not in circulation yet for sure nobody I know from the length or breadth of the country has seen one. I haven't even got the 5th portrait 10 or 50p yet !

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

This just arrived in the mail... I'm still impressed by the Royal Mint's turn around time. Forgive the photos - I just used my phone image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm loving the detail on Harold...

10. green18

Harold dies, right? Poor fellow.........

11. green18

And it's actually looking more 'William' to me, Norman and all.

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

It's Harold. The armor of the Normans and the Saxons were essentially the same. The real way to tell the difference between the two on the Bayeux tapestry (from which this design comes from), is that the Normans are on horse.
    image.jpeg
    (That and Harold is labeled...)

green18 likes this.
  13. onecenter

onecenter Member

A magnificent set of coins. I will be looking forward to buying a set myself.

14. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

just got my annual proof set, they are magnificent

FitzNigel likes this.
  15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Kind of presumptuously issued the 90th birthday coin aye? Vivat Regina, but indeed she is rather well past the average lifespan of most people.

16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I was thinking the same thing - also thought that with the longest reigning monarch coin, but they at least waited until about a week before to actually release the coins.

17. moneyer12

not seen any 10 or 50p coins from the fifth portrait series yet plenty of the other denominations though

18. moneyer12

seen any 10 or 50p coins from the fifth prtrait series yet plenty of the other denominations though

19. moneyer12

seen any 10 or 50p coins from the fifth prtrait series yet plenty of the other denominations though

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Canada released a $20 bill commemorative back in Sept when she broke the record of longest reigning monarch. I would love to have the $20 she was on in 1935 when she was a mere princess then 4th in line to the throne.

21. mark240590

Ditto.. I just mentioned that on numista the other day never seen any new commemoratives or the new definitive £2 either !

Draft saved Draft deleted