uk 1p error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by calumsherwood, Jun 2, 2011.

1. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

its not often you will see me starting a thread in the errors forum but for once i have a question that you guys/gals may be able to help with. i was sorting through a load of change the other day and noticed a few 1p coins with this error. some only a little while others, like the one in my pic, are more extreme. it seemed to only effect 2010 pennys and to me looks like gas bubbles but any thoughts would be much appriacted as this has been bugging me for a few days.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Will have to keep a eye out for them as I havnt seen one before now :thumb:

4. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

do you think it could be gas bubbles? it was just a guess from me as i am not very good with errors

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe those coins are copper plated steel. You are probably looking at a plating problem similar to what happens here with our copper plated zinc cents.

6. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

calum,

I have also heard about this kind of 'cud' issue. I think for the new 1p, it comes from the fact that there is no longer a beaded border, and this affects the dynamics of metal flow.

I have several of the new design coins, and I have seen a great number of similar (lesser extent) - and it was very rare prior to 2008. Does that make sense?

Draft saved Draft deleted