Uh Oh! Would like some input.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Please correct me if wrong, but I think I remember reading that opened cases can cause paypal to hold funds.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Yeah just tell the truth and hopefully the seller won't flip his/her lid.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Truth is, there's no need to make it any sort of confrontation at all anymore. I signed up for eBay's Hassle-free returns, and I suggest all sellers follow suit. The buyer makes one click, prints out an eBay label, and then has 8 days to put it in the mail. eBay emails me each step of the way... return started, label printed, package mailed, package arrived. They don't hold my funds. Then they give me 4 days (which I don't need) to make sure the coin arrived back to me as it left, then I make one click to issue the refund, and my fees are all instantly refunded.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Uncharted area for me 'Books', but at least the plaintiff has grounds to plead his case.....worthy or otherwise.

6. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

I that case you refund all and eat postage one way, or just refund the item? And, who pays return postage?

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I ship for free, so I eat the postage cost to the buyer anyway... I only pay the return postage for the buyer if they claim "item not as described." Of the 7 returns I've had in the past 4 months, only 2 of them were "item not as described." The other 5 were "Buyer no longer wants the item." And as long as the coin is under $250, the return postage I pay is just $1.69... no big deal. It's streamlined. I no longer have to open a cancel transaction case and wait for the buyer to agree. As soon as I issue the refund, my eBay and PayPal fees are refunded to me. (And of the 7 returns, the coin sold for more the second time around, making my profits/losses pretty much a wash).

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For what it's worth, eBay makes it kind of hard not to open a case. As I recall, if you click on "Contact Seller" for an auction you won, the first thing eBay gives you is a list of reasons, including "item not as described". If you select that and click through to the next step, you're actually opening a case. To avoid opening a case, you have to do something non-intuitive -- like selecting another reason.

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I didn't know that. That's really odd.

10. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

You're right. I sold a DVD player maybe five months ago that got busted up by USPS en route. The buyer opened a case that was resolved and up til very recently I had my funds on all sales delayed.

11. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I heard back from the seller today. They said just send the coin back and they will send me the correct one and refund shipping costs. I also told them about how I've never had this happen before and I wasn't sure what to do and didn't know opening a case was a last resort thing. This was the seller's response "It should not be a problem at all, these type of things only become problems if they are left unresolved which we have no intention of letting happen." So it sounds like they weren't bothered by me opening a case which is good.
    Now I can't wait to get my coin!

silentnviolent and BUncirculated like this.
  12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

bsowa: IMO, you handled that well. If the transaction completes to your satisfaction, save this seller and become a repeat buyer. He/She sounds like a good place to shop.

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Very good, sir. I am sure the seller appreciated the explanation, and am glad all has turned out well.

14. Sounds like the seller just made a mistake. It happens from time to time. Most likely he/she will gladly accept the return. If not, ebay will back up your return request, because the item was not properly described.

15. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I most likely will save them, even thought this is the first coin I've purchased from them since I've been on eBay and none of their other coins listed now interest me. But they may have another Franklin I like it the future.

16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Great to hear things have worked out. Remember to leave positive feedback if everything works out in the end.

JPeace$ likes this.
  17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

But you should also know that eBay and PayPal both encourage that every effort be made to resolve the dispute between buyer and seller before opening a SNAD.

But you'll be good in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted