Uh Oh! Would like some input.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bsowa1029, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Ok, so last week I won an auction on eBay for a 1948 D NGC MS 65 FBL Franklin half. It came today. When I got the coin out of the package my first thought was "wow this is pretty banged up to be a 65." So after some more examining and thinking I decided I should return it because I wouldn't really be happy with it in the long run since it was a low, low end 65. After a few more minutes I finally look at the label and it says "MS 64 FBL." I went and checked the packing slip and it showed that the auction I bid on was listed "1948-D Franklin Half Dollar - NGC MS 65 FBL." But I couldn't make out the label on the slab from the pictures on the slip, so I checked the actual listing on my computer thinking maybe the seller mislabelled the auction but the pictures actually showed a MS 64 coin. Nope, the image was for an NGC graded MS 65 FBL 1948 D Franklin.

At first I thought no problem I'll just send the seller a message letting them know about the mistake and I'll send the coin back and get the right one sent to me. Then another thought popped in my head; they can just say I'm lying and I will be out a big chunk of money.

I have already sent the seller a message letting them know what happened.
    I would like to know what will happen here.
    Am I stuck with a really expensive MS64FBL coin? Because that would really suck!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Research the completed listings on eBay for 1948-D Franklins in PCGS MS64FBL. Scan the results for listings of the coin you were sent. If that coin had been listed by your seller, that's all of the evidence you need.

- Mike

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I wouldn't panic until you see what the seller has to say. Hopefully it's an honest mistake and the seller will make it right. If not, ebay buyer protection should cover it I would think.

6. bsowa1029

jloring, toughcoins, camarodmd, thank you. I feel better now.

7. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

You should be covered good luck and i truly hope you are either able to get the right coin or your funds back !!!

8. bsowa1029

I just opened a case. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

9. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

You will be fine don't worry. Hopefully it was just a mistake and not a scam although if it was a scam I can't see them getting away with it unless the buyer just never noticed...

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Why? You did wait for the seller's response before opening a case, right?

11. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

I most definitely would have waited for the seller to respond before opening a case.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Me too. Always give the seller a chance to respond prior to opening a case with eBay.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

You have 30 days to open a case and that really should be the last resort. This appears to be an honest mistake on the part of the seller, who has been selling for ten years on the 'bay. I'm sure he would have accepted a return, but now that you've opened a case, you'll have to let it play out. The end result will be the same, but you'll probably end up on his blocked bidders list.

BUncirculated likes this.
  14. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

did he list the certification number on the coin listing on ebay? if he sent you the wrong coin then complain immediately

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with all above. Wait for the sellers response before determining your next course of action.

Keep us updated!

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Some of you guys are so reactive. Ebay gives buyers ALL the rights. Their thinking is that buyers will keep coming back and driving up prices for their bottom line if said buyers have nothing to fear. And it's true! As a buyer, eBay will bend over backwards to ensure you come back. Be not afraid!

18. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

You should have waited to see the seller's response. It could be a honest mistake by the seller and you did not allow him to correct his mistake. Now paypal will hold some funds which can cause inconvience.

I had a similar case where a buyer wasn't happy with the time of how long it took to ship to him and demanded some form of tracking. He only paid for standard air mail - registered would have jacked up by another 10 dollars for something that was sold for a couple of dollars. He had the balls to file a case and Paypal would have sided with him. Paypal took funds off my account until he decided to be honest and dropped the claim. He went ahead to win another auction which I promptly refused to do another transaction with him. Obviously he's no longer welcomed regardless of his apologies.

19. bsowa1029

I've never had anything like this happen to me as a seller or buyer on eBay before. After following the link posted in post #2 and reading all of the information there I thought opening a case was what I was supposed to do. If I knew opening a case was the last resort I definitely would have waited.
    Opening a case doesn't hurt the seller does it? I thought I read that effective on a certain date opening a case no longer has an affect on a sellers feedback score or anything like that.

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

don't worry too much about it. Wait for the sellers reply and than be upfront with him about the claim.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No sweat. Opening a case moves some folks off the dime. In any event the seller is allowed to present their case. No harm, no foul.

Draft saved Draft deleted