Ugly Westpoint penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paveltul, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Acetone really only works on environmental organic contaminants that can collect on the surfaces of coins. That's why it's particularly effective on circulated coins. Uncirculated too, depending on where they've been stored (a smoker's house, for example).

I couldn't begin to guess what happened to some of these W cents, but pretty sure acetone won't help it. Sadly, probably nothing will.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Yep 24 hours in fresh acetone and pretty much no change. All we can hope for is that only a few thousand of these "damaged" edit: Mint ERROR w cents are available thus making them instant collector items! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Maxfli likes this.
  4. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, however you don't see this piss poor quality on the 2019 s Lincoln cent proof. The question is, if they would have spent that $0.02 and a tiny plastic airtight for the Lincoln cent, with these coin still have issues? I really do hope that the u.s. mint put the two remaining special edition Lincoln cents in something different other than sealed plastic.

5. RobbyR

RobbyR Member

Received three, all were stained in the exact same spot. But they were”free”.

6. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I don't have the stains on the two I have. This may cause a very limited number of PF70's if these keep coming out.

Draft saved Draft deleted