Ugly Vulcan

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancient Aussie, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I found another early rare instance of a temple on a Greek coin, although under Roman rule about 2nd century BC. It looks as if the Celator's of that day and age didn't care for handsome portraiture. s75JYk36xE8jHz97t3Rz9mmWqF2d4p__4_-removebg-preview.png
    Spain, Malika Æ Half Unit. 2nd century BC. Head of Vulcan right, wearing conical cap; Neo-Punic MLK' and tongs to left / Tetrastyle temple with pellet in pediment. ACIP 794; SNG BM Spain 385. 3.46g, 17mm, 5h.

Good Very Fine. Extremely rare variety with tongs to left, rated R9 by ACIP.

Ex CGB Monnaies 28, lot 481, Jan. 25 2007.

Málaga's history spans about 2,800 years, making it one of the oldest cities in the world . It was founded by the Phoenicians as Malaka about 770 BC, and from the 6th century BC was under the hegemony of Ancient Carthage . Then from 218 BC it was ruled by the Roman Republic and later the Roman Empire as Malaca (Latin).

The Phoenicians from Tyre founded the city as Malaka about 770 BC. The name Malaḥa or mlḥ is probably derived from the Phoenician word for "salt" because fish was salted near the harbour.

After a period of Carthaginian rule, Malaka became part of the Roman Empire . In its Roman stage, the city (Latin name, Malaca) showed a remarkable degree of development. Transformed into a confederated city, it was under a special law, the Lex Flavia Malacitana. A Roman theatre was built at this time. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire , it was ruled first by the Visigoths and then by the Byzantine Empire. For those not sure where Malaga is check map, looks like a very nice location.

400-andalucia-regions-map1 (2).jpg
    A word about VULCAN.

Hephaestus (Ancient Greek: Ἥφαιστος Hēphaistos) is the Greek god of blacksmiths , craftsmen , artisans , sculptors , metals , metallurgy , fire and volcanoes . Hephaestus' Roman equivalent is Vulcan . In Greek mythology, Hephaestus was the son of Zeus and Hera, the king and queen of the gods. In another version, he was Hera's parthenogens child, rejected by his mother because of his deformity and thrown out of heaven and down to earth.

As a smithing god, Hephaestus made all the weapons of the gods in Olympus. He served as the blacksmith of the gods, and was worshipped in the manufacturing and industrial centres of Greece, particularly Athens . The cult of Hephaestus was based in Lemnos . Hephaestus' symbols are a smith's hammer , anvil , and a pair of tongs .

This is another place I need to visit, has huge archaeological sites, as below.

teatro-romano-malaga.jpg

SHOW ME THOSE UGLY VULCAN COINS AND ANCIENT SPANISH COINS.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Very nice write up and super interesting coin.
    I have been looking for a coin of Vulcan for some time. My Father worked as a Tool & Die maker in Canada but I have his original trade papers from Dublin, Ireland where he achieved the trade of Blacksmith.
    He told me often that when he came to Canada in the early '60's and showed his papers at a job interview he was always asked (in a joking manner) if he could shoe horses.. and had to gently correct them, stating the correct trade for that work would be a "Farrier"... but he could make whatever they wanted out of metal... and do it fast and well.

Edessa, IanG, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  4. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

One of my only ancient Spanish coins...

Castulo.png
    SPAIN, Castulo Circa mid 2nd century BC Æ
    O: Laureate male head right, CN VOC ST F
    R: Bull standing right, crescent above, CN FVL CNF
    CNH 15; SNG BM Spain 1264

To add something else related to the topic; here is a picture of the Temple of Hephaestus(Athens).
    Hephaestus.JPG

5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Interesting family story – it's a pity that such tradition-steeped trades and the respective skills and knowledge of craftsmanship have gone all but extinct.

If you're looking for a Roman Vulcan, this type of Valerian I is probably the easiest to get. I'm not sure whether my example counts as "ugly." I've seen a few better ones, but most are worse:
    Rom – Valerian I, Antoninian, Vulcan, DEO VOLKANO.png
    Valerian I, Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 258 AD, Lugdunum mint. Obv: Obv: VALERIANVS P F AVG; bust of Valerian I, radiate, draped, l. Rev: DEO VOLKANO; Vulcan, draped, wearing pilos, standing l. in temple, holding hammer in r. hand and pincers in l. hand; at his feet l., anvil. 22mm, 3.16g. Ref: RIC V Valerian 5.

And, in addition, here is a nice little Spanish coin I like a lot but have rarely shown. Always reminds me of many a good summer day at my in-laws' place in Catalonia – if COVID-19 hadn't turned all our lifes uside down, I would probably be there right now...
    Iberer – Arse-Saguntum, AE18, Muschel:Delfin.png
    Iberia, Arse (Saguntum), Edetani tribe (under Roman rule), AE quadrans, ca. 170–120 BC. Obv: scallop. Rev: "AIUBaS" in Iberian letters; dolphin; above, three pellets. 17mm, 4.13g. Ref: Álvarez-Burgos 2008 (ABH) 2051.

TuckHard, Spaniard, DonnaML and 7 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

VULCAN

Not ugly, but is typical for this coin series (split flan)

upload_2020-9-30_8-36-22.png

Samnium Aesernia AE21 263-240 BCE HN Italy 430 Vulcan Left - Biga

This one is for your father, @Clavdivs ... made WELL

upload_2020-9-30_8-37-38.png
    Samnium Aesernia 263-240 BC AE 20 Vulcan Pilos Tongs Jupiter Biga Left

Orielensis, Spaniard, DonnaML and 6 others like this.
  7. IanG

IanG Well-Known Member

An interesting topic for discussion. I very much like the Iberian coinage of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC, a nice blend of the Roman and Celtic styles. I only have 3 Iberians, here's my favourite.

Unit, Castulo, late 2nd Century BC

Castulo.jpg

8. Alegandron

ANCIENT IBERIA

upload_2020-9-30_9-13-49.png
    OSCA Spain AR silver denarius 204-154 BC. Head r beard -N behind - Horseman spear, Iberian PMAN BOLSCAN Burgos 1501 Villaronga 3

upload_2020-9-30_9-14-27.png
    Iberia Secaisa Segeda AE 25 2nd-1st C BC Male Hd Dolphin Horseman Galloping

upload_2020-9-30_9-18-1.png
    Spain Osca Æ Semis 25mm 8.0g 1st C BCE Bearded male hd R Horseman galloping R holding spear star SNG Cop 325 Burgos 1918

upload_2020-9-30_9-15-1.png
    Iberia Castulo Late 2nd C BC AE As 25mm Bust Nose Hand Sphinx

upload_2020-9-30_9-15-48.png
    Iberia - Castulo AE14 Quarter Unit Bust - BOAR w-star 2nd C BCE

9. Alegandron

CARTHAGE SPAIN

upload_2020-9-30_9-19-46.png
    Carthage Iberia
    218-208 BCE
    AE 13
    1/4 Calco
    Barcid Military Mint - 2nd Punic War
    Tanit
    Helmet

COLUMBUS' SPAIN

upload_2020-9-30_9-22-41.png
    Spain -
    Ferdinand and Isabella
    AE Blanca -
    Granada mint
    1469-1504 CE

10. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Iberia. Carteia. Circa first century BC. Æ Semis (20mm, 7.13g, 10h). Obv: Head of Jupiter-Saturn right, S before. Rev: CARTEIA; Dolphin left, crescent above. Ref: ACIP 2576; CNH 39; SNG BM Spain 1716-1717. Heavy example, oversturck on an earlier issue(?).

zzzzz.jpg

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...UGLY VUCAN?!?....bite your tongue:p your agonizer please 003.JPG

13. Alegandron

ROMAN SPAIN

upload_2020-9-30_9-48-5.png
    Roman Republic RR Anon AE Semis 211-207 BCE Saturn S Prow ROMA Sear 766 Craw 56-3 Spain Punic War

upload_2020-9-30_9-46-8.png
    RI Augustus 27 BCE-14CE AE As or Semis Spain Celsa Mint 29mm 5.0g Laureate Augustus - Bull RPC271 Cut in ancient times to make change

upload_2020-9-30_9-46-49.png
    RImp Spain Lepida-Clesa Lepidus 44-36BCE C Balbus L Porcius Colonia Victrix Ivlia Lepida Victory - Bull holed RPI 262 plate 19

Edessa, Orielensis, Spaniard and 4 others like this.
  14. Ancient Aussie

Great coin and love your pic, thanks for sharing.

Herodotus likes this.
  15. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Ancient Aussie.....Not ugly at all!.....Wooh that's a 'sweet' coin!....Nicely centred and lovely detail.....As you've said this is a DIFFICULT coin to obtain especially in this condition, a great pick up....Congrats!....Enjoyed the write up too thanks.
    Castulo, Spain AE As. 30 mm, 22g. 76-45 BC.
    ISCER SACAL, youthful male head right.
    CAST SOCED, sphinx right.
    Burgos (2008) 709; Ripolles 905; Villaronga 14.
    SPAIN BLACK 1.jpg

16. Ancient Aussie

That is one fantastic coin you have there, love the detail on the sphinx.

Edessa and IanG like this.
  17. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I don't think I have seen many large coins like yours from that era, is it the equivalent of a Roman Sestertius?

Edessa and Spaniard like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice pickup, AA. Mine is a different type, but also has Vulcan on the obverse. I think our die engravers went to the same school.

IBERIA Malaka - AE14 Vulcan star 2637.JPG IBERIA, Malaka
    AE Quarter Unit. 3.15g, 14.4mm. IBERIA, Malaka, circa 2nd century BC. ACIP 780; SNG BM Spain 388-90. O: Beardless head of Hephaistos/Vulcan right, wearing cap; MLK' in Phoenician letters behind. R: Eight-rayed star with intercalations and central pellet.

Ancient Aussie, Edessa, Bing and 5 others like this.
  19. doucet

doucet Well-Known Member

What is most remarkable about the OP coin is the condition of the temple on the reverse.

Nice.

malca temple.jpg

20. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

ValerianII-Hephaistos.jpg
    Valerian II. Caesar, 256-258 AD. Aspendos, Pamphylia. Æ 32 (16.91 gm). Obv: ΠOΥ ΛIK KOΡ OΥAΛEΡIANON KAIC CE his bare and draped bust, right, above an eagle with wings spread. Mark of value "A" in right field not visible. Rev: AΣΠEN-ΔIΩN, Hephaistos wearing conical cap seated right, holding hammer in r. hand, and shield of Achilles (?) in left hand. Flaming forge below and to his right. BMC__; SNG Cop__; von Aulock__; SNG France__; SNG PFPS__; Leopold__; Isegrim__. Cf. SNG France 207 (for rev. type [Valerian I]). Apparently unpublished. A single example found at: http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=13106

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  21. Ancient Aussie

Thanks, yours has great eye appeal, but definitely a different celator where's yours seed to have a problem getting the columns perpendicular.

Draft saved Draft deleted