"Ugly" coin appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by fomovore, Aug 26, 2020.

1. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

The recent "horn silver" thread reminded me once again that the beauty was in the eye of the beholder. So let's share the "uglies" that we'll never part with.
    Here's mine:

DSC_2092.JPG DSC_2095.JPG
    DSC_2098.JPG

I was sold the second I saw it and willing to pay a lot. Luckily for me, nobody else liked it.
    PS. If I ever meet the person who put all those cleaning marks on it, I'll rip their arms off.
    PPS. Almost forgot: Thessaly, Larissa, chalkon?, 350-300 BCE, 21mm, 9.1g

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Clavdivs, akeady, Bing and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Where is the ugly coin? I think she still retains a bunch of her beauty. Fun coin and thread idea. Though, rather than ripping arms off, you may want to shake their hands. That coin clearly had a bad case of bronze disease and somebody took plenty of time and care to cleanse that coin of the dreaded disease (when you see that maroonish color on bronze on areas with deterioration you know it was more than likely BD)...
    But to show I've dealt with that old nemesis myself:
    1977BE26-DE50-4C32-B505-6BFC745B814C.jpg D204BCE5-6564-47F4-B843-3261E9C58CE2.jpg 20190326_142623_B2515525-F784-42CF-8471-8C24296DDAE8-406-000000B7876D0A76.png

Clavdivs, Bing, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
  4. fomovore

fomovore Active Member

Believe me it's beautiful to me. I'm just referring to the folks who can't stand a spot or a scratch on their coin.
    I actually thought of that, but couldn't see any signs of BD. The maroon encrustations are hard as a rock and can't be scratched with a copper brush.

Ryro likes this.
  5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here's my pugnacious imitation of an Athenian tetradrachm.

Love it!

D-Camera Attica Eastern Imitation Tetradrachm, left facing owl, 6-27-20.jpg

benhur767, Clavdivs, Bing and 5 others like this.
  6. Ryro

Albert Kind said, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all." Well, if it wasn't for "Ugly" coins, I wouldn't have any coins at all!
    I was just updating my Shield collection and don't really pay much for Roman knock off Macedonian Shield Coins. Here's a grouping (with one beauty in the batch):
    upload_2020-8-26_16-48-22.png

7. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

A coin of the Restorer of the World that some might find ugly. I sure did get it real cheap. Really like the portrait though.

aurelian01.jpg

Clavdivs, Bing, Marsyas Mike and 4 others like this.
  8. Ryro

Precisely. They did a good job of cleaning it off. That is the sign that BD was there eating away at the coin. Like crumbs on a fat kids belly.

Co1ns likes this.
  9. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I've got this sub-$10 denarius I picked up that has got a real running for ugliest coin in my collection.

100 BC Denarius L. Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Q Servilius Caepio Crawford 330.1a 3.29g 19mm.jpg
    Roman Republic
    L Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus & Q Servilius Caepio
    100 BCE
    AR Denarius | 3.29g | 19mm
    Obv: PISP CAEPIO Q, head of Saturn right, harpa behind; wreath above
    Rev: AD FRV EMV EX SC, the two quaestors seated left between two grain ears
    Ref: Crawford 330/1a, Syd 603, or Wildwinds

Clavdivs, Bing, Marsyas Mike and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted