Uglier than the Morgan Dollar ...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, May 27, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There are not many coins I would call ugly but there are many that are just boring. Our coins should have designs with a meaning to most of the population. I feel the eagle on many coins, did that. Just a bunch of wording is really boring.

fiddlehead likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

So do I.

John Skelton and I_like_Morgans like this.
  4. I_like_Morgans

I_like_Morgans New Member

I love the Morgan dollar, but that's about all I collect. As stated in earlier posts it has that old west era appeal. I also agree that what the mints turn out now-a-days doesn't appeal much to me either.

5. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

A poll should have been created to go with this thread. I'd venture a guess that the majority would fall towards "other" designs being uglier than the Morgan.

I don't collect them, but I see nothing wrong with them. Also, @Randy Abercrombie has a very valid point that the Morgan dollar is most likely a large contributor to many people being in this hobby (though not to the extent as the Lincoln cent).

6. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Murphy45p and Tlberg like this.
  7. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I agree, but I just can't hit the like button....

Tlberg and Rheingold like this.
  9. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

The foundation is great, indeed.
    Reverse Looks OK, but obverse....:facepalm:

10. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

FWIW, I like the big III on the three cent piece. I find the Morgan boring but not ugly. I love the draped bust dollar - the example I have of it is personal favorite. I like the liberty head series, but I know a lot of folks don't. The Lincoln penny is boring - especially in comparison to the issues that came before i. I find almost everything prior to 1960 or so much better than anything afterwards. Maybe even just knowing that contemporary coins don't have any actual precious metal in them ruins it for me. Just can't "see" past that.

11. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I personally find a well centered MS Morgan Silver Dollar very attractive Engraving is splendid.

Tlberg, LA_Geezer and masterswimmer like this.
  12. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

My pick is the SBA dollar.

masterswimmer and LA_Geezer like this.
  13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

You mean like a Kardashian quarter? A Facebook nickel? I guess that would work.:D

LA_Geezer and BuffaloHunter like this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

15. Murphy45p

Murphy45p Active Member

Couldn't agree more. That mounds quarter is plain ugly! The innovation dollar isn't far from it either.

Tlberg likes this.
  16. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

My goodness, is that Fish??:D

Tlberg likes this.
  17. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

18. DCR Jerry

DCR Jerry Member

That is the same thing I think every time I see one of those!

Tlberg likes this.
  19. messydesk

Tessio, actually, but yeah.

Tlberg likes this.
  20. messydesk

It makes sense if you've ever been there. The effigies are like giant, grassy animal crackers, and look like tiny animal crackers on the coin.

Tlberg likes this.
  21. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

This post got me curious as to the female inspirations for both the Morgan and Peace Dollar. On the Morgan, she looks like a heifer, lol, not very attractive, she looks a little better in the pic I found but looks kinda mean. The Peace Dollar Sicilian is hot, both on the coin and in the pic, lol.

I prefer the Morgan reverse to the Peace but, no contest on the obverse, Peace Dollar wins hands down!

As for my pick on a more ugly coin... every loonie and toonie ever minted and the new Equality Dollar takes the top prize in that lot!

The pics are probably the only Peace and Morgan that’ll ever be in this collection.

C6EFFE6B-F5E2-4E8A-9C42-7B97FB05BB7E.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted