Ughh, I can't wait.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Crobattt, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

Me and my dad are going to the safety deposit box tommorow that hasn't been opened in about 15 years. He says in it there are a lot of coins. He knows nothing about them, but he was looking through my 2011 Red book, and he pointed out morgan dollars, and said "I remember there was a good amount of these" These coins were my grandpas who collected coins for a good amount of years, but when he passed away my dad received them, and tomorrow we get to look through them, im excited i cant wait!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Take a camera!!!

4. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

I'll take some pictures with my phone :p

5. G-man422

G-man422 Member

Awesome! Keep us updated.

6. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Sounds fun! A few years ago when I got back into collecting, my dad brought his coins home from the bank for me to go through and catalogue and value. It was alot of fun. I know alot more about grading and coins in general now though, so I'm trying to get him to let me go through them again. I said I could probably give him more accurate estimates of values now. But I mainly want to do it because I enjoy it. Have a good time!

7. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Good luck! Even Morgans in junk condition with no problems like VG-XF are worth $28!

8. chridular

chridular Member

Wow that IS cool! Please let us know how it goes!

9. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

10. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

That is so awesome!

My dad has a long lost collection that has a good chance of sporting a lot of silver, but there's a 50/50 chance that it has been sold or stolen by my dads brother. Please do bring a camera, as it would be fun to see this treasure!

I can only hope I will find my dads collection someday =)

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Then the bad news is discovered that the bank declared the box abandoned ten years ago and turned the contents over to the state. :)

12. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

My stomach sank, then I saw you werent the OP. :p

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I kind of hope for this kind of excitement in the future with a child of mine. I don't have any yet, (wife is pregnant though), but hope one of them may catch the coin bug and then be shocked by what is in my SD box. I could only imagine my excitement if my dad and given me a SL half collection in XF/AU, large cents, flowing hair dollars and halves, etc etc.

Man, makes me want to go get them to look them over myself! Lol.

14. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

15. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Sounds like a fun trip. Let us know what you find!!!

16. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Crobatt....we need to know, ya know !!!!

17. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

Sorry :p

anyways im not going to discuss all that was in there, because i told my dad I wouldn't. Anyways there were a collection of coins like i said so lets get started!

The first thing i saw was a 1887 Morgan Dollar O, which i brought home,
    Next i found an entire Mercury Dime booklet that contained all years, but it was missing the following;

1926 - s
    1931 - ds
    1916 - d
    1921- d and one without a mint mark.

I'm going to complete the set for him :p (he passed away)

Next there were a couple pages of Half Dollars dating from 1924-1964 which i loved looking at.

Then i looked and found two large bills from 1923 which were in great condition,but i left there :p

After that i opened a box and found Eisenhower Silver Dollars, and Mint sets from 1957 and random other years.there was probably like 20 of them :p

Next i found a little leather bag , and that bag was random silver certificates, red seals and other cool notes, some of them were kind of wrinkled up in that bag though :C

Next I found a page that had 9 roosevelt dimes pre-1964 a war nickel two 1970 pennies (that were labeled AU on them lol), and then 8 Silver Quarters, i took this home.

I found a couple of peace dollars, and commermative coins.

There was a lot more things, but i didn't have time to look at them closely, and the bank was closing, but it was very fun to look at my grandpa's old coins :D!

Draft saved Draft deleted