Ugh, THIS thing is still going on...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, May 19, 2018.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

2018 Cook Island $5.00 1/10 oz .24 Pure Gold Statue Of Liberty Sealed Coin

That's right -- you get a 1/10 ounce gold coin, containing not 1/10 ounce of gold, but .024 ounce of gold, or less than one-quarter of a tenth of an ounce. ("Emphasized" in anti-bold print in the description; we wouldn't want to mislead anyone by picking a fineness that just happens to be the same number associated with "pure 24-karat gold".)

For $149.50. A reasonable price for an actual tenth-ounce of gold, although I'd hold out for better.

Edit: I just now noticed how the seller chose to abbreviate Statue of Liberty in the description; mods, please don't hurt me, it's a direct quote. And it is an abbreviation of Statue of Liberty, I assume, not a comment about any buyer's status should they one day try to get their money back out of the coin...

And they're. Selling. Like. HOTCAKES.

To be fair, they come with a very official Certificate of Authenticity, certified by... well, I won't go into who signed it, because they're political figures. :mad: Let's just say that their decision to do so does them no credit, in my opinion.

I remember complaining about this a couple of years ago. Apparently it's lucrative enough to justify a 2018 issue. I don't suppose there's any end in sight. Sigh...

Edit: Mods, I just noticed how the seller chose to abbreviate Statue of Liberty in the description. It's a direct quote, and it's clear from context that it's short for Statue of Liberty, not a snarky comment on buyers who ever try to get their money back out of the coin...

gronnh20 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The really sad part is it's a better design than anything from the US in years.

4. -jeffB

A Liberty Bell with the Queen's head on it? o_O

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Still visually much better than the junk we get

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Google Centrone Investments, it is the address of a private house in Florida. Looks real professional...Oh, it has 1 -5 star review ( only review).....hmmm, think I will pass on this opportunity.

7. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Ya I'm not so sure about that. Aside from that it's a pretty nice design

8. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Well at least you can return it within 14 days if not satisfied and there is ONLY is 15% restocking fee, not bad. :vomit:

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

In my book 24 karat gold is considered 100% (pure) gold. Agreed?

Now what does the coin say?
    1/10oz .24 pure gold

Huh? Why do they even mention the term “pure” when it’s far from it. Actually it’s much less than 8 Karat which is .333 fine and in some countries the minimum standard fineness.

So yeah I agree, worst “investment” ever for $149...

bear32211 likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

This is how it reads now....

".24 pure = .24 fine= 24 percent."

In the OP you have it as....

".24 pure = .24 fine not 24k."

It seems that the seller has done a little editing since you first posted. Assuming your quote was indeed correct at the time of posting, perhaps someone has stopped in for a visit? Not that the apparent change is any better, but one has to wonder about the awfully convenient timing.

11. -jeffB

Could be.

I reserve most of my anger for the manufacturer/marketer producing the things. Look at the "Certificate of Authenticity". It's painstakingly accurate, and painstakingly misleading.

The only reason to use this alloy composition is to ensnare people who see ".24 fine" and think "24 K".

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You'll hear no arguments from me.

Still, and while I can certainly respect your dislike for the manufacturer, and is something I share to an extent, it has long been argued here that we cannot hold them responsible for the actions of those who buy their products.

13. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Who would buy this coin? A fool and his money soon part ways.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You answered your own question.

Draft saved Draft deleted