ugh...eBay problem...need opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 27, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Intereting....look what was waiting for me in my in box when I got home for dinner.

I SURE WONDERED HOW FAST YOU WOULD REPLY. I TYPE IN CAP'S ALL THE TIME SO
    GO FIGURE. I HAD ALREADY LEFT POSITIVE FEEDBACK BEFORE YOU EVEN SAID
    ANYTHING. I HAD THE COIN SOLD FOR $14.00 TODAY ANYWAY.

Total scam artist. Glad I stuck to my guns.

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

There is all types of knucklehead Ebay buyers trying to rip people. There are the people who look for sellers to make a mistake in the listing, then try to hold you hostage, looking for a free item. There are the people who try to negotiate a better price once they get it in hand, by threatening to return the item if they dont get a partial refund. There are the people that claim the item was damaged in shipping, but dont want to return it, they just want a partial refund. I have seen them all, and my response is always to apologize, tell them to open up a return/claim with Ebay and return the item for a full refund.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. phankins11

....and as I go to block the guy, I realize he's purchased 5 more items and paid for them. Sheesh...

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

This happened to me a while ago on eBay when I was selling something. The person said it didn't look like the picture. Wanted a refund but didn't want to return the item. I sent the email to eBay and would only refund if the item was sent back. It's not the money, it's the principle. If I was you I wouldn't let them extort me like that. And the person didn't leave me a negative feedback either.

Endeavor, JPeace$ and phankins11 like this.
  6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Don't have the time to read all the responses, but he has a case. Tell him to ship it back for a full refund. He is not allowed to threaten feedback, so maybe that will help you if he leaves a negative. I would not issue a refund until he ships back though.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You can respond to negative feedback, so a few marks won't kill you.

Endeavor likes this.
  8. phankins11

The gray sheet I have has Bid at 2.50...

Exactly

What do you all think I should do with the 5 new items he purchased and paid for?

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This is what I do. Forget stupid principles. It's 5 bucks and you can eliminate all stress and anxiety, block him, and never give it another thought.
    As for the new purchases, let him buy them. Wait a week, then apply the block.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

ship them.

phankins11 likes this.
  11. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Say:

"I am sorry that there was an error in the listing and you did not receive a 1984 S Proof Statue of Liberty Half Dollar (which does not exist.) I am happy to refund your money in accordance with the item description and my stated return policy.

There is no need to threaten me with negative feedback, as I am happy to resolve this issue. For future reference, threatening to leave negative feedback unless certain demands are met is a violation of eBay feedback policy.

(If your return policy says to return the coin, tell them to return the coin here.)

Thank you,

You."

This user has technically threatened to use feedback as a negotiating tool, which means that (in my experience) if they leave a negative feedback for you, all you have to do is call eBay, point to how happy you were to follow your stated return policy, and they will remove the negative feedback. As soon as they threatened to give you bad feedback if you didn't refund their money and give them the coin for free, you are 100% in the driver's seat. One of the few instances where eBay does protect their sellers.

12. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Also, and this is from my days in customer service at retail stores...if someone comes in to the store, yells at me, and tells me YOU ARE GOING TO DO WHAT I WANT OR ELSE they can almost certainly guarantee that I am going to calmly, professionally, and smirkingly explain the stated policy that applies to them and follow it to the last tiny little detail, no accommodations at all.

If you can't be polite and respectful, I will not bend over backwards to let you walk all over me. That's what this person is doing...rather clumsily. They're out there...but that doesn't mean they get to win.

green18, slackaction1 and phankins11 like this.
  13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Glad it worked out for you.

IMO, the guy is still a tool! I wonder if he's going to get the typical red ferarri or if he's going to opt for the yellow one with that windfall $9!

14. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

You made the mistake, pay the return shipping and refund.

15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yeah he's tool, but you did screw up the listing... Just remember [Jerry Pournell] "the karmic chicken always comes home to roost.

16. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Member

Serious question - does the buyer live in San Diego?

17. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

I meant bid for the 1984 version, not the 1986. Since the guy already had the coin sold I'm just wondering how the margins looked on that deal. $14 seems rather low for such a rarity.

phankins11 likes this.
  18. phankins11

No, looks like Centralia, IL.

Nice :D sorry i missed the humor

19. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have run into eBay sellers with occasional typos after looking at photos. If it is a coin I am interested in and I know it is an obvious error, I e-mail the seller to advise them of the error and check to see if it is the description or the photos that are incorrect.

Apparently, this buyer did not know basic dates on USA commemorative coinage. I would recommend having the coin returned and the buyer reimbursed. You may be able to re-sell the correctly described coin in a new eBay auction and even make a little.

20. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Did he leave you positive feedback saying "OK coin, made nice profit"?

phankins11 likes this.
  21. eddio

eddio Well-Known Member

people are the problem .not ebay policies
    I made a mistake once of having a pic with 3 coins but description said two,,,,and in my notes it said see all 3 pics for grading..the third coin was worth less then 10 dollars guy gave me a hard time I figure this useless human being deserves this coin more then me so I let him have it and hope he will choke on it...............

green18, onecenter and JPeace$ like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted