ugh...eBay problem...need opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by phankins11, Feb 27, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

So I sold a 1986 S Statue of Liberty commemorative half dollar proof on ebay.

Just got this message from the buyer, all caps included.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DEAL IS SELLING A 1984 AS YOUR TITLE SAYS AND WHEN I
    GOT THE COIN IT IS A 1986. I WILL NOT SPEND THE MONEY TO SHIP IT BACK AS IT
    WOULD COST MORE THAN THE COIN IS WORTH, BUT I WANT MY MONEY BACK OR ELSE
    $4.99 REFUNDED TO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT BY SATURDAY OR I WILL LEAVE FEEDBACK. I
    AM REALLY MAD. I HAD THE 1984 SOLD TO A CUSTOMER LOST A SALE NOW I HAVE TO
    EAT THIS ONE. WILL BE LOOKING FOR MY MONEY BACK AND I WILL LEAVE GOOD
    FEEDBACK.
    THANKS FOR NOTHING.

Lo and behold, my listing title had a type-o, and indeed did say 1984. However, there are 3 pics, 2 of the obverse, and one of the COA clearly showing 1986. So at the very least, this joker bought this coin without looking at the pics. Secondly, there's no such coin as a 1984 statue of liberty commemorative half, so this guy supposedly had a non existent coin sold to another customer. The whole thing feels like a scam to me. This guy saw my type-o and thought he could sucker me into a free coin.

I offered to refund when he returned it to me exactly as it is pictured.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

He saw an opportunity to scam you out of a coin, don't even respond to him. I ran into someone like this last year.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is eBay, FleaBay and SleazeBay. Which one do you think applies in this situation?

Chris

Endeavor likes this.
  5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Make him file a SNAD and hope you win. If you are not a big E-Bay seller, the negative feedback won't hurt you much and it only lasts for 1 year.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Only problem is Ebay will refund his money as the SOB keeps the coin!! Tell him send back the coin and you will refund the shipping - then block the idiot from your future auctions.

7. Markus1959

WILL BE LOOKING FOR MY MONEY BACK

HA! HA! - tell him to keep looking!!!!!!!

Endeavor likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Give him the $4.99 and block him. Anything else you do will cost more and/or impact your feedback and/or impact your standing with eBay.

C-B-D, green18 and eddio like this.
  9. Markus1959

ONE negative will NOT stop people from buying from you and Ebay is all about making their fees - they don't care how many negatives you have!!!

Endeavor likes this.
  10. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Pay for return shipping and refund when received in same condition

or

Apology and let him keep it.

It's just not worth it.

beef1020 and tommyc03 like this.
  11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Well, you can save the e-mail and use it in your defense with eBay if you choose. I think threatening a seller with neg feedback is a no-no.

Personally, for $5 (if that is the price), I'd refund and block him. If you get the coin back, great, if not, you can't even buy lunch for that amount anymore. Wash your hands of the situation.

The buyer sounds like a tool. He already had the $5 coin sold, now he'll have to hold it....wow! If he's such a wheeler, dealer, numismatist, he would have known there is no such thing as a 1984 Statue of Liberty commem. Dope!

Endeavor, green18, tommyc03 and 2 others like this.
  12. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

You should really have your policies in place before you start selling on Ebay. That being said, I would apologize, tell the person to open up a return, pay for return shipping and refund his money. I would also encourage him to leave the appropriate feedback he feels necessary.

This is my policy, and I dont stray from it, when dealing with returns. The buyer must open a return dispute with Ebay.

Endeavor and tommyc03 like this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If he does leave a bad feedback, you can leave an explanation afterwards to that so at least someone checking your feedbacks knows you made a good faith effort to resolve.

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If you call e bay and send them all communications he has no leg to stand on. He cannot black mail you with negative feedback that's a major no no!
    Let them handle it. But call them he can't use feedback as a weapon .

Endeavor and green18 like this.
  15. eddio

eddio Well-Known Member

take the loss block the idiot or he will make your life a bit miserable,ebay cares about buyers sellers are secondary to them ......

green18 likes this.
  16. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

I would refund the shipping, seems only fair considering the circumstances.
    As to negative feedback, many buyers read the negatives and disregard when the complaint is insignificant. My concern about feedback is all the sellers with thousands of sales garnering 100% or close to it, positive feedback when they don't deserve it.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Such a megilah on a common commem. Ain't worth the effort to fight the unreasonable sod.........block the unworthy unmentionable.

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

If you are only out 4.99 for the coin and the postage you used (looks like he's only asking for 4.99), I'd refund the money, eat the loss of the coin (let him keep it), report him to ebay for feedback extortion (he offers to give you good feedback if you refund him, and bad if you don't, and he has already declared he refuses to ship the coin back without checking to see if you will pay reasonable return shipping costs). Then block him. If the returning the coin is worth you paying him up to 6.00 for (depending on how he ships it), then ask him to ship it back a certain way and once it comes back give him that money too.

If he leaves negative fb and doesn't give you a chance to deal with this, check with ebay if they will remove it due to fb extortion. He is going outside ebay's proceedures (SNAD) in this communication, from what I can tell.

I think a buyer like this is not destined to stay long on ebay.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Your time alone is worth more then the sale price of the coin.. Do the return, he'll send the coin back, as for shipping, I'd split the shipping fees, its like you said, pictures tell a thousand stories....

20. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

i would love to know what the current grey bid is for a 1984 statue coin.

21. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

No coin back, no refund.

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted