U.S. Silver half dollar commemorative prices in VG?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Is there a reference that gives suggested VG prices for these? Or do I just search Heritage, etc.?

Greysheet only goes down to XF. A quick tally of a recent issue puts one of each "type" at around $10k. Waaaaay out of my budget.

(This is even taking into account that I don't need P/D/S variants or the same design in different years (Arkansas, Texas, etc.) The Grant Memorial does not need the "star", etc. Basically no variants or rarities.

Are the 1828 Hawaii Sesquicentennial and 1935 Spanish Trail really that expensive? Wow. Maybe this type set isn't for me.

Too many questions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Finding worn examples of the coins you mention will be difficult indeed. Though not impossible, your journey to do complete this set will be most challenging. I've never seen an Hawaiian or an Spanish Trail below XF. The Hudson commem is virtually impossible to find in less than mint state condition. Best of luck in your search.....:)

4. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

I have picked up a few in circ condition, but I would imagine a whole set would be kinda pretty hard.

5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I'm not a very patient person, but coin collecting over the past 2 years has made me a little more so.

If I do decide to pursue this, it'll be the cheaper/easier ones first and we'll see how it goes. I'll post back here in 20 or 30 years and let you all know how it's going ;-)

green18 likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

PCGS price guide lists numbers for most of them in VG. Like @green18 said, you probably won't find some of them in less than XF. And, the very lowest grades carry a premium due to "low ball" collecting.

Best of luck. :)

green18 likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You won't have any problem finding Columbian, Monroe Doctrine, Lexington and Concord or Stone Mountain in well worn condition. If you have the deep pockets for the coins we mentioned above, you could always purchase them in mint state, put them in the pocket change, and let 'em 'rattle around' for a year and a half or so.... devil.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted