U.S. Mint, This is how you should handle the other President C&C Sets.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 1, 2015.

?

U.S. Mint, This is how you should handle the other President C&C Sets.

1. 1. Increase mintage.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 2. Decrease household limit.

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. 3. Increase mintage & decrease household limit.

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. 4. Leave it as is.

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm betting the mint will at least increase the mintage, if not also lower the initial household limit. The mint's reasoning for the mintage is so flawed (based on other sets without a unique coin), that they will increase their profit by increasing the mintage, now that they know the potential. True, you can't please all the people all the time, but, you can please most of the people, most of the time.

Now, think about the possibilities. What's happens to the value of Truman, if the rest of the sets have a 50k mintage?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. If they increase the mintages of the other C&C sets, people selling their Truman sets now will wish they had hung onto them longer. If they do increase mintages, maybe the remaining sets will all have the same 25K mintage proposed for the Kennedy C&C set instead of 17K.

4. statequarterguy

Yep, if I were a flipper, I'd wait a few weeks to see what the mint does with the next sets.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And don't forget to leave your name on their list in case some come back and are disbursed later on. I did with the Roosevelt set and they came through with one for me.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  6. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

If you must add new features to hold interest, then the modern coin market is facing impending doom. There are only so many way to do things, and with each variation, it looks more and more gimmicky.

7. Coinchemistry 2012

I agree that this would be good news for the people holding the Truman pieces.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would agree with this but look at the plethora of issues coming out of Canada. Holy Moly. There must be a market or otherwise they would stop, wouldn't they?

Coinchemistry 2012 and medjoy like this.
  9. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

I had a similar experience and mine should arrive tomorrow, 3 July.

10. Coinchemistry 2012

That is an interesting counterexample. I wonder what the market will be on these coins in 5-10 years.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Many are novelties for sure. Only time will. One good thing came out of it for Canada though. Their Mint director brought them from $500 million in the black to over $5 billion in the black during his tenure before he retired. Now only if our own Mint could do this.

12. statequarterguy

Don't say that, they'll do it on our backs. I was just looking at the RCM site, some high markups there.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"IF" the US Mint gets involved they will simply lower the Household Limits to 1 for a week and then raise it to unlimited.

Increasing mintages is out of the question because in doing that, they validate the rarity of the Truman Set.

If they increase the mintages AND decrease the HouseHold Limits, they'll never sell them all. Look at the Teddy Roosevelt. Only 13,000+ made it out the door. Why would they ever consider raising the others to 25K and be on the hook for all that unused packaging?

My bet is on them lowering household limits to 1 in which case, folks will simply enlist family and friends to place their orders and the flipping machine wouldn't miss a beat ad the whining goes on.

I do UNDERSTAND the frustrations of the folks that have 9 to 6, 8 to 5, and 7 to 4 jobs that cannot get away to place an order. My suggestion to these folks is to get the US Mint website up and running on their iphones and then schedule their "personal" time around the release time on release day. That's what the retired folks and professional coin dealers do in addition to enlisting others.
    A 12 noon release time in the Eastern Time Zone shouldn't be a big deal since its lunch time.
    A 11 am release time in the Central Time Zone could amount to an early lunch.
    A 10 am release time in the Mountain Time Zone might just coincide with a group smoke break. Smokers DO take regular hourly breaks.

OR

Make contact with someone that WILL be ordering and arrange to get a set through them.

OR

Schedule a Doctors appointment for the Release Time.

The ordering this time around for me was a freaking breeze. The web did puke, the response was almost immediate and I was out before 9:01 Pacific Time. They really have made some nice changes but, as a buyer, you need to be there at the opening bell. Not 5 minutes after, not 10 minutes after but right at the opening bell.

green18, silverpoint and Chiefbullsit like this.
  14. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

You forgot another option, mint to demand.
    This issue was bungled immensely by the mint. I can't believe they didn't realize that with a unique coin and low mintage this set would sell more than the two chronicles sets last year.
    I think the next issue will be done differently. They should go to 1 per order if they don't increase the mintage.

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. statequarterguy

Your analysis has the same flaw as the mint's (I knew you worked there). You compare these 2015 sets with unique coins to previous issues without unique coins. They could easily sell 50,000 of each 2015 set and maybe up to 100,000 if they weren't jacking the price with a silver medal that few want/collect.

16. If the Mint does not increase the mintages but changes the household limits from 5 to 1 on the remaining C&C sets, that may still increase the value of the Truman set, as more people will be able to get the remaining sets likely increasing demand for the Truman sets. TC

17. statequarterguy

True, but, I still think the mint will be passing up some huge profits if they don't dramatically increase the mintages. If the mint realizes this, it certainly will increase the mintages.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  18. statequarterguy

As for the Truman, I'm surprised the mint didn't hold all orders and reduce the household limit to one or two, as they reserve the right to do - guess too much pressure from their large clients to not do so.

19. 19Lyds

What Large Clients since the Household Ordering Limit was 5? With that, the largest client of the bunch could still only order 5 since the order is based upon shipping address.

20. 19Lyds

Totally forgot about the Native American coin which sold out at 50,000 units.............

21. statequarterguy

The large clients that use all their employees, clients, friends & family to purchase hundreds of sets.

Draft saved Draft deleted