U.S. Mint, This is how you should handle the other President C&C Sets.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jul 1, 2015.

?

U.S. Mint, This is how you should handle the other President C&C Sets.

1. 1. Increase mintage.

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. 2. Decrease household limit.

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. 3. Increase mintage & decrease household limit.

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. 4. Leave it as is.

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Go ahead and tell them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Dear Mint. Stop. Re-think everything you're doing. Re-think over it again. Quit. hire us.

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Start making coins inside out. You have to keep innovating.

sambyrd44, derkerlegand and tommyc03 like this.
  6. statequarterguy

I added a poll. Please take the poll, but feel free to post as well.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Have to look at innards.......not my cup of tea.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

I vote they quit making them altogether

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

In all honesty I didn't know the mint was making these "Chronicles" sets until I saw them being discussed on this site a few days ago. The mint sure loves making a commemorative coin (or a whole set) for every situation.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

What about an option to leave it as is (17,000 and 5 per, with only the Kennedy being 25,000)? I would probably say lower the order limit and keep the mintage, but I would be intrigued to know how many people would prefer to keep the status quo.

11. statequarterguy

Done, you can change your vote if you like.

ddddd likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted to decrease household limit, but I also think the IRS should impose a 50% "luxury tax" on any seller (individual or business) who offers more than a "5-pack" for sale.

Chris:woot::woot::woot::woot:

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

"Throw the dog a bone" and they do from time to time. This was one of them. I honestly don't know how they can possibly make a profit of any sort with all of the expenses involved from start to finish. This reminds me of a POs (point of sale) gimmick, where there is no profit, just a way to lure people in to buy other items that do not sell so well (look at the back log of mint sets two years old) and then say "gotcha"! And I suspect that many of us, myself included, that wait until several items we do want are issued so we can save on shipping by making multiple purchases at the same time. At 17,000 mintage and over a million collectors (just a random number) it is impossible to satisfy very many collectors who need a complete set. Myself, I believe there should be a 50,000 total mintage and 1 per household. This is still fair, allows for more people to complete their sets and more people come out happy in the end. IMHO.

green18 likes this.
  14. I voted for them to leave it as is for the upcoming sets. Ordering went smoothly, and shipping is moving quickly.

illini420, medjoy and Chiefbullsit like this.
  15. statequarterguy

I don't know, can you call selling out in less the 15 minutes smooth - not smooth for probably most collectors that wanted some.

A question, did you vote to leave it as is, if you successfully place a Truman order? I did get an order in, but voted to increase the mintage & decrease the household limit, not only to make it fair for all, but to insure I get the next ones. I mean heck, if there's a slight glitch with checking out online, they'll be sold out by the time you can complete the purchase - available for less than 15 minutes is way too small of a window to guarantee anything. If left as is, I suspect the next issue will sell out in less than 10 minutes.

mikenoodle and tommyc03 like this.
  16. You cannot make everyone happy, and peoplewill always finds something to complain about. I'm just pleased their ordering system worked well and their shipping is moving quickly. I actually like the low mintage, unlike the MOD sets which was way too high at 75K.

17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I also voted to leave it be.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  18. statequarterguy

I would imagine the way the Truman sales were handle, made many more unhappy than happy.

I don't know about the MoD Set, 75k for a dime is very low. That set would have sold out in a few hours, if the mint didn't run out of stock. I read somewhere that they sold their entire stock of 58,000 sets in the first hour of sales.

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Why don't you sell some of your extras to the "unhappy" collectors that didn't get any? C'mon man, make their day !! I know you have 4 extra.

20. People seem quite pleased with the system operating smoothly and the quick shipping from what I have read online, but again you are never going to make everyone happy. Would I feel differently if my order do not go through at 12:01 and was already shipped? Perhaps, but I did what I needed to do and the Mint did a nice job with the transaction. Now, if I was unavailable at noon to order, I would have asked someone else to order one for me or would have picked one up on eBay before they even went on sale. These were selling a month ago as pre-sale for about $20 above issue price. Not bad given what they are selling for now.

Regarding the MOD set, keep in mind that many of these sales are going to people who want to resell them for a profit. These will forever be available on the secondary market with only a modest premium. Of course, same holds true for the C&C sets regarding resellers, but the low 17K mintage almost guarantees a nice premium for these in both the short and long term.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  21. statequarterguy

All true, yet an unforeseen problem I have is apparently several people from our coin club didn't get an order in, even though they tried. Now I'm getting hit to sell them one at cost, which would leave me with none of the 5 I ordered - friends can be expensive.

Yeah, many of these different sets will be on the market for awhile due to the flippers, but it won't be forever, they will eventually be absorbed into collections.

thetracer and LJRambo111 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted