U.S. Mint sees gold demand drop 43% in April, silver demand drops 23%

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris Winkler, May 4, 2022.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Of course it did, look what they released in March then look what they released in April

Chris Winkler likes this.
  4. Joshg1928

Joshg1928 Active Member

Its been a long time since I bought anything from the mint. Poor business models and crazy premiums priced out all of their loyal customers.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Amen. I started buying from the US Mint in 1959. I stopped in 2018. They don't get my business anymore.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, after getting defective coins in a set priced at almost $800, I agree.

The only things I want now are the annual Proof sets in Silver.

7. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

After last year with the poor product some mints put out, especially the morgans, I have had my fill of paying a premium for a so so product.

Chris Winkler, Howard Ryan and Jerms like this.
  8. Chris Winkler

9. Joshg1928

Joshg1928 Active Member

Not the wrong business, the wrong clientele. I used to work at a nursery years ago in a very rich and growing area. Boss man said "My customers come here expecting to pay alot of money, and I don't want to disappoint."

AdamL, -jeffB, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The Mint releases this year are real weak compared to those last year. With the cancellation of the Morgan and Peace proofs for 2022, this is shaping up as a Mint-free year for me.

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

The premium for there products keeps me from buying a lot products. I also am having a hard time with some of the issues for design and for other reasons.

12. Chris Winkler

Why do you think they cancelled them, in light of endless c-rap they release weekly? Shink tokens don't do much for me...

13. baseball21

They were canceled because they're having trouble getting the silver planchets. Same reason things that are usually sold all year long are getting hidden limits placed on them

14. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Could it be that people don't have as much to spend on coins?

dwhiz and Tater like this.
  15. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

Could it be that you can get a really nice 100 year old coin that has a history behind it at a same or lower price of an ASE or commemorative coin.

dwhiz and AdamL like this.
  16. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

The mint sucks. Combine that with people wanting to afford gas, groceries... baby formula.

The wants tend to take a back seat more heavily when the costs of needs sky rocket.

dwhiz and SensibleSal66 like this.
  17. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I haven't purchased a coin in over a year because my bills are more important sadly as that is. :arghh:
    I usually only buy low Not high.;)

MIGuy and dwhiz like this.
  18. baseball21

It's pretty simple why it was down. All you have to do is look at the new product offerings. There was basically nothing new that would have drove the sales that month. Combine that with rising spot that would have slowed bullion sales, and bullion sales being restrained by lack of planchets and its pretty easy to see why it happened.

If pricing was the issue there would have to be multiple products that just bomb sales wise which just hasnt happened

Draft saved Draft deleted