U.S Mint Medals: Antique vs. Glossy Finish

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fjrosetti, Dec 26, 2004.

1. fjrosetti

fjrosetti Member

I have noticed that on some of the newer U.S Mint medals (Bush II presidential, Ron and Nancy Reagan, etc.) being offered by the U.S. Mint, the finish is very different than what has been the normal. These new medals have a glossy finish as compared to the antiqued finish of the older medals.

My question is this, are all the medals being offered by the mint now going to have this 'new' glossy finish? Or will the older medals continue to be struck in the old finish? Perhaps there will be both types of finish on some of the medals making for an interesting set?

And I wonder, are the older antiqued medals actually being struck today, or does the Mint have a stockpile of these, and when they run out that will be the end of these antiqued medals.

The entire U.S. medals program seems to be shrouded in mystery compared to U.S. coins of which every detail seems to be known.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

The new medals are created using a new technique in die preperation. The Wildlife series are the best example of this new proceedure.

4. Catman

Catman New Member

Charles Shultz Medal

I really can't answer your question but I have noticed the same thing you have. The creator of Peanuts, Charles Schultz, and the John Wayne were both done with the glossy finish.

catman

5. fjrosetti

fjrosetti Member

So just who decides what finish will go on each medal? Don't believe that that facet is included in the legislation authorizing each medal.

Someone at the Mint must be making the decision of what finish to use for each new medal. I wonder who?

6. Catman

Catman New Member

fjrosetti

You know.? I think I will go to the Mints website and ask them. The worst thing that can happen is they refuse to answer.

Do you collect mint medals as a general rule?

catman

7. fjrosetti

fjrosetti Member

Catman, please do check with the U.S Mint regarding the different finish being applied to the medals.

I also wonder, which Mint is striking the medals? Just Philadelphia? Or are all the Mints involved?

I have only recently taken an interest in U.S. Mint medals. I guess I just wanted to explore something different and fresh.

In fact, I just received my first U.S. Medals today. Purchased one 1992 Mint Bicentennial Medal, and one 2000 White House Medal. Both have a glossy prooflike finish and are quite attractive which surprised me. I was expecting to be disappointed.

Would enjoy finding out much more regarding these hidden-in-the-attic items from the U.S. Mint

Draft saved Draft deleted