U.S. Mint Lawyer at My Table at Denver ANA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

But on another level, there are only two options - accept that courts are by definition correct, especially when taken up to the SCOTUS, or take up arms and do a redux of 1776. Short of that, there's nothing.

You actually don't get to have a cogent place that says, "Yeah, the courts were wrong."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Sure you do, plenty of court decisions have proven to be wrong later on and overturned or a new precedent invalidated the previous decisions. If that wasn't the case as soon as an issue was heard once it would never be heard again.

4. John T.

John T. Active Member

I read a lot. Evidently you don't know that our govt. ordered to relinquish all gold coins in the 30's. As soon as they got what they needed, the gold doubled in value. I am a Viet Nam vet and all that happened was never reported. At Di Do, we encountered 1000,s of very large people. I overheard one of the intelligent officers say that they must be north Chinese. We never fought people our size. Not that it was a big deal, but they were not the normal enemy. We were strafed by jets that had - looked like Chinese writing. Our govt. said that it was our jets that hit us by mistake. I think it was a lot of bunk. I may have been the only one stupid enough to stand up and look, but at least I knew the score.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

It never is heard again, unless the SCOTUS says so. Only a higher court gets to override stare decisis. And as long as the Philadelphia Mint is in the 3rd Circuit, where all such cases can be directed, that means only the SCOTUS has that authority.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

I believe just about everyone knows this. The VAST majority of pre-1933 U.S. gold spent time overseas out of the jurisdiction.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

And more is being repatriated every day.

Y'know, the points made in this thread indicate that the Mint really ought to seize that PCGS Nail in a Slab....if anything was surreptitiously removed from the Mint, it was that.

Dynoking likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

You don't see that in a ballistic bag? I always imagined it an R.F. String find. (They not only make rolling machines, they DO coin rolling for Federal Reserve District 3.)

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I consider a deliberate removal from the property more likely than it getting through the filters in place to eliminate radically defective minted coins. Still a question of probabilities, though.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I can't see 'string' wrapping a 'nailed' coin.........In fact, I can't see how something like this would ever occur in the normal minting process...........

Meet the new Boss. Same as the old Boss

The Who

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Really, Green? Having toured the Philly Mint, in this current configuration, I'm amazed it doesn't happen much more. Blanks pass by open to the ceiling, and the tour walk. A whole bunch of severely warped stuff gets into ballistic bags. Fred Weinberg gets them more from post-Mint operations than from the Mint per se.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I can imagine bits of cloth, bits of stray metal chips and grease but just the right sized nail for just the right sized coining chamber is a bit tough to believe. Not impossible of course, but not very probable. And ouch, the damage it must have done to the die. I've never been to any of the Mints but do they use metal detectors for incoming and outgoing employees? Or tourists for that matter?

13. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Why?

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Why? So they can get turned over to the Federal government too! Why else? Geez, do I have to explain everything? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Employees yes. Tourists no. (Philly)

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

By definition the courts are correct? Dred Scott? Plessy? Bowers? Korematsu? Need I go on???

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, the courts are by DEFINITION correct right up until they change stare decisis. Then that is correct.

18. halfcent1793

OK. I didn't pick up on the sarcasm in your post. I get it now.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As Kurt said employees yes, tourists no, but in general tourists are not allowed on the shop floor. Sometimes they have down shop floor tours at the Denver mint for students from the ANA summer seminars, but in those cases the visitors did have to go through the same metal detectors as the employees.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Because in Kurt's collectivist world the Government owns everything. (And it is up to you comrade longline to help the government find their property.) Kurt has never admitted, I can only surmise that he also supports asset forfeiture without Due Process as well.

21. halfcent1793

In April I was lucky to have a special behind-the-scenes tour of the Philadelphia Mint. We spoke with the engravers at work, watched hubbing and all other activities on the floor up close. We had to go through metal detectors going in and much more powerful ones going out. No cell phones, cameras, etc. allowed. Had to wear heavy shoe protectors that made it look like we had Mickey Mouse feet. While in there, we got to dip our hands into vats of unstruck planchets. There were struck and unstruck planchets all over the floor. Incredibly educational and a lot of fun.

tommyc03 and Oldhoopster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted