U.S. Mint Lawyer at My Table at Denver ANA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Hopefully. It will probably be a couple years before we see the future impact if any on patterns

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

One thing I learned from the Mint lawyer was something I hadn't realized before - even the Smithsonian 2 were once part of the Switt 20, not something separate and apart.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

Every day the Mint DOESN'T actively go after something lessens their ability to do so later.

5. baseball21

I agree, but the aluminum cent seems to have disproved that as that wasn't the first sale of it

6. V. Kurt Bellman

LOL! I'm from north of the PA Turnpike, not south (by about 100 yards). The "force field" there prevents me from thinking of Baltimore as close to me. I identify more with Philly and NYC.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Wait! I was CERTAIN it was the first time a 1974-D was even known. The "Congressional non-returns" were all mintmarkless. Or was it Dan Carr? Can he account for his whereabouts? :):hilarious:

8. baseball21

The owners who wanted to auction it had purchased it privately I believe. There was a big thing about it on the CU forum and can't remember all the exact details but apparently it wasn't a huge surprise to some. I do believe it was the first time it was graded and attempted to be publicly auctioned though

9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"Baltimore was Union too."

????? More accurately Baltimore was occupied by Union troops because it wanted to succeed. If you remember Civil History A. Lincoln did not stop in Baltimore on his way to Philly because he got word he would be assassinated in Baltimore.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

IIRC it was a family member of a former Denver Mint superintendent who had it. THAT is something called "conversion of a public asset to private hands". Criminal. Bureaucracy or not, there can be no excuse for that, unless you're just reflexively anti-government for all purposes. And if that's the case, go get help ... NOW. Seriously.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

HA! What a quaint anachronistic notion! Think that one up all by yourself, did you? Think again.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Baltimore was not in the Union by choice....let's get history correct. As a major sea port Baltimore was held by the Union. The first shots may have been fired at Fort Sumpter the first deaths of the war were on Pratt St. In South Baltimore.
    Most of Maryland was split between the two sides. Southern Maryland for sure wasn't in the control of the Union.
    Mary Surratt was from an area around Andrews Air Force Base in MD.
    Dr.Mudd lived no more than 40 miles from Baltimore in Southern Maryland.
    Needless to say we don't honor Leaders or generals whom lost a war.
    Maryland has always been called the line state. That line took many twist and turns during that time frame. And the streets of Baltimore as well the state had just as many Confederate as Union supporters.

midas1 likes this.
  13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is 100% correct.....Federal Hill was an over look of the city as well harbor.It was manned by troops from Massachusetts.
    And also correct that Lincoln did not stop at Camden station now Camden Yards Oriole stadium. Because of a known assassination attemp would be made.
    South Baltimore was not the best neighborhood as it was a no mans land of all sorts of characters.

midas1 likes this.
  14. baseball21

Initially yes, but there was more than one person if a trial had occurred. It's a stretch to say that coin was being actively pursued over the years. Also the owners essentially just gave up either not having the means and/or the desire to foot the legal bill when even if they won they would have ended up losing money with what the estimated value was

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They recovered 8 back in the 40's, they knew where #9 was (the Farouk coin) they announced that they had recovered all of them. (When they started confiscating them the owners fingered Izzy as the source. Izzy admitted to having sold nine of them. They recovered 8 and the 9th was the Farouk coin.) Then Eliasburg revealed he had one, they confiscated it, that was 10. Then the Langbords came up with their 10 that made 20. We know there is a photograph of one from 1980 that is NOT one of the other 20, that makes 21. Scuttlebutt back in the 1970's was that Izzy had had 25 of them. This was long before we knew that the Family still held ten of them.

As far as I know no 1974 aluminum cent plain or D has ever sold. (A plain has been slabbed twice, the D once.) The person wanting to sell the 1974 D at the auction sale was the son of the Mint Superintendent. He got it by inheritance.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Why is that Kurt? Because they disagree with you? Because they might be anti government? Can't we all agree to disagree from time to time? Not everyone here is seeing this through your eyes only. I did not agree with everything in your "Viewpoint" in N.N. But I'm also not going to tell you, you need mental health counseling. ( And I'm not going to debate it with you either, you have your views and I have mine ). Respectfully said and 'nuff said.

Mad Stax and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  17. baseball21

There was a dealer involved too so some transaction had occurred. I could have sworn there was a private sale of it at one point according to the CU thread but may have it confused with another coin.

Sadly not in this day an age.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, that's quite enough for my definition of insanity.

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Now that you ask, no. Metal worship and/or expecting PM's to ever again be part of a money system is just crazy talk. The truly amazing part is that we EVER believed in PM money. Some worship PM's. Some worship crypto-currencies. Oddly, some like both, which is especially nuts because they're polar opposites.

20. baseball21

Wrong thread, had nothing to do with that

21. V. Kurt Bellman

You'd have to have read my N.N. piece. It's fully relevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted