U.S. Mint Lawyer at My Table at Denver ANA

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Aug 16, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

The bulk of my tablemates were members of PAN, the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists. Tom Uram was there. Simcha Kuritsky was there. Between the three of us (The red, white and blue guys) (Sportcoat colors), we represented 8 First Place class awards in the exhibits.

But the most interesting talk came from "the other guy". He was the lead in-house attorney for the Mint and the talk turned to 1933 Double Eagles. He recounted the history of all the coins known to have passed through Izzy Switt's hands, 20 in all.

With the Langbord 10 back in the hands of their rightful owners (We, The People), he figures there are three (3) still out there "in the wild". The Langbord 10 were Number 8 through Number 17 recovered or accounted for.

Find them.

midas1 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The people don't own the Langboard eagles.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I recently bought a dozen of them from China. :angelic:
    so the numbers don't add up ???? :arghh:
    lol

midas1, Truble and Evan8 like this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

Sure they do. We all collectively do. The federal government is us. Any time the U.S. Attorney's office are in court, they are "The People".

6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

HA! Those 3 are sitting in the same collections that also have 1964 Peace Dollars. As long as those coins are for "we the people" only, "I the individual" would never tell if I had one.

midas1 and mikenoodle like this.
  7. baseball21

It has been a long long time since there has been any truth to that. If they were sold none of us would get a check for "our" share of it, nor would we be able to just show up and ask to see "our" coin at will. The government owns them. It's like telling a cop you're his boss, can say it all you want but it won't make it true

8. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

Spot on baseball...spot on.

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Was I the only one who thought the US Mint display at the Denver ANA show, was more like the mint showing off their victory trophies. Two 1933 double eagles and a 1974 D aluminum cent, take em away, then show em off!

10. V. Kurt Bellman

I completely and utterly disagree to an extent you probably can't possibly fathom. I am a state government employee, and no, no individual constituent is my boss, but the collective surely is, to the best of our ability to discern that.

Deacon Ray and Lawtoad like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

You can show up almost any time to see at least two of them, you will soon be able to see the L-10 at museums, and probably all 10 of them next August at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philly. Just because "you individually" don't get to order them up at will doesn't make you any less an owner. I don't get to speak to the CEO of any company I own stock in either.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

I found the Mint display uplifting. "My stolen property" had been returned to me. I swear to any deity you like that we ARE the government. When the government wins, I win.

Nathan401 and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. baseball21

I agree. I found it in poor taste to do that so soon

That's actually the definition of not being an owner. Owners have control over what happens to something.

If you owned a substantial amount you would. If you owned anything over 50% percent of the shares you wouldn't even have to ask you could just demand to.

bhh, Evan8 and Truble like this.
  14. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

You said a mouthful Comrade!! The collective state always wields the power to claim anything they want at anytime they want. They should be melted down just like the rest of the '33s, end of story.

bhh likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Wrong! I didn't lie to the rest of the people. The government just didn't want to lose face (and $3.5 million) over the sale of the Farouk specimen.

Chris

SchwaVB57, baseball21 and Truble like this.
  16. baseball21

You're the collectives boss. If the collective signed a petition to give the double eagle back nothing would happen

Truble likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

The only lies told in court were those of Roger Burdette.

18. Truble

Truble Well-Known Member

Me neither, it is like the couple that found the jar of old gold coins a year or so back on their own property and made news. Why would you tell anyone you found a jar full of old gold coins in a mason jar half covered with dirt. Just a chance for the "collective" to step in and claim it as stolen property from 100+ years ago.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Now, I like you even less!

Chris

20. V. Kurt Bellman

We elect representatives to act on our behalf, as if it were us ourselves doing it. That is what being a Republic means.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

You might try reading more and spouting less.

Draft saved Draft deleted