U.S. Marshals Service 225th Anniversary 2015.Who picked one up?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chromerunner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Got some of the boxes today. Got 10 clad proofs. First one I opened has smudges on the coin...carefully opened the capsule to make sure it was not on the plastic. Lousy job cleaning the coin. Appears to be leftover from polishing. Third one, same thing in the same area. See the area above her head all around LIBERTY. This pic was using a Dino-Lite digital microscope so it really shows up in other places too. It doesn't look quite this bad to the naked eye but very, very noticeable as soon as you look at the coin. This pic was taken with the top of the capsule removed so there is no mistake it's on the coin, not the capsule. So now I am inspecting every coin to see how many get sent back!! I'll update later. I didn't get my full order, but most of it. Sent 2 day priority, not snail FedEx.
    A016 - 20150202_101242.jpg

onecenter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Out of the 10 clad proofs I got today, 4 are going back with the polishing smudges on them. I got 6 of my 10 UNC dollars and they all look good..but hard to screw up a non-proof coin with the shiny surface. I got 14 of my 20 proof dollars. They all look good, but I am disappointed in how they look. The figure on the reverse of the coin just does not stand out like it should and the star on the front is kind of blah not being frosted. I really think the clad proof is a much better looking coin front and back....design wise and the frosted parts of the coin. Just my 2 cents ad the Food Lion lion would say!!

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

These coins all have HUGE Mintage Limits and just because they are either Out of Stock or on Back Order, doesn't necessarily mean that they still cannot be ordered and purchased. Both terms actually mean that they'll need to mint more which the will more than likely be doing over the next month or so.

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I think that the shipping/handling/packaging are calculated into the US Mint extravagant pricing structure.

6. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

I was referring to the 3 coin set that included the gold coin. At 15,000 I consider that a low montage. Correct?

7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

The packaging for the 15,000 sets is the only thing that is limited.

JPeace$ and green18 like this.
  8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

15,000 means nothing unless you've been watching coin tv and believe packing is a mintage limit. The lowest possible mintage coin in this set is 100,000. My experience with these commems is I can sell the individual packaged coins for more than the 3 coin sets, so I don't buy the 3 coin sets anymore. And, there's a number of other reasons the individual coins are a better option.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I hadn't made mind up yet

10. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Never seen coin tv, now I see there is nothing special done or going on with the coins in the 3 coin set. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Not that I'll be buying the gold coin anyways,

11. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Rick is correct. The Mint site shows everthing out of stock except the clad half.

12. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yeah I know I went to make my order and out of stock. Kinda frustrating.

13. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I went in to order today but the uncirculated clad half dollar is out of stock!! That's ridiculous. They may need to mint more but at least let us back order it. I wanted to order 1 each of the silver & clad coins. That way there would only be one shipping charge. So now I'm not sure if I should wait or just order the ones I can now. What do you all think?

14. x115

x115 Collector

I like the design of the gold

my pics
    1.jpg 2.jpg

15. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I stopped by my local shop yesterday and they had the proof clad half and the unc dollar. I loved the design, they coin is for sure designed to look its best as a proof. I think the coin is going to be a hit with several groups of collectors. I wonder if it could turn out to be like the 2001 Buffalo dollar even with the high mintages only time will tell, but I see little down side to the dollar with its old west design. I went to order some from the mint, out of stock, go figure. So I put the kids to bed and put in the dvd player one of my all time classic movies Tombstone and I can't help but quote from that movie, Good old Wyatt Erp talking to one of the bad guys Clanton,

"All right, Clanton... you called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that?
    [pulls open his coat, revealing a badge]
    It says United States Marshal!!.........
    You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?..."

After that I couldn't go to bed after watching a good old western and being denied by the mint.

Jwt708, x115 and green18 like this.
  16. Fullbands

Fullbands Certified Authentic Details

The clads are my least favorite designs. Kinda cluttered and without focus. But we like what we like. The silver dollars are my pick.

Rick L.

17. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

I really like them.

Attached Files:

x115 and Tater like this.
  18. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

they look good all presented together like that.

19. sensehunter

sensehunter Member

So far, the Dollar Proofs have issues..the tops of the big star is mottled, not evenly mirrored, at least on the 2 I've seen in 2--3 pc sets in hand....1 Proof Dollar, in another Long Beach Bought set(bought on ebay, sold direct from Hotel Room), is being swapped for massive struck through reverse(which may have more premium as an error, but, ruined my set)..my hunch is, down the line, the POP of PR70's will be fairly low, and, most PR69's. A full 3 coin PCGS PR70 DCAM set will command top dollar, with special labels.

Tater likes this.
  20. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I recieved my 3 coin proof set today. The gold coin has a smudge on the reverse right by the eagles beak. A long soak in lab grade acetone did not remove it. I will probably order an individual proof gold goin and replace it with the smudged one, then send the smudged one back or a refund. I'd rather do that than take the chance of returning the whole 3 pc. set and getting coins in worse condition.

21. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I just received my last 6 proof dollars that took forever to get to me. Seems the post office smashed one of the boxes and repacked one box into the other one. Missing one COA and one top of an UNC box. You just won't believe what the PO did with no notice in the box why they did what they did. Waiting for a call back later today with some kind of explanation. Damaged boxes are supposed to go into a plastic bag. They ARE NOT supposed to open sealed boxes to put other stuff in from a damaged box, if it was damaged.

Checked the proof dollars. Returning 5 of them for polishing scratches on the star clearly visible when rotating the coin or just looking at it...which means they'd never make PF70 so just returning them for a refund. Two had what appeared to be small chunks taken out of part of the star. I have to say the quality control is getting worse and worse!!

Draft saved Draft deleted