U.S. Columbian Half Dollars? Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Hey all. If you had this lot what would you ask for it? Not seeing these in the red book. Trying to establish what these are worth. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Check PCGS Coinfacts website to learn how to grade these. Once you’ve established a grade for each, check eBay sold auctions to get an estimate of value.

Mountain Man likes this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

If I see them like this for $10 bucks, each, I buy them. Not so enthusiastic at $12 unless they are pretty nice. My 2 cents.

5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Agreed; i was going to say 10-30 if there re a couple of nicer ones or toned reverses.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1892-3 Columbian Half Dollars are the most common early (1892 - 1954) commemorative half dollars in circulated condition.

The sales of the coins were disappointing at the fair. After it was over, the fair committee put them out into circulation rather than returning them to the mint where they would have been melted. Therefore quite a few these coins circulated for a few years. It is not all unusual to see them in Choice VF and EF condition.

In contrast, the unsold Isabella Quarters, which were offered at the fair were returned to the mint. In round numbers, the Board of Lady Managers, who sold these pieces were able to sell about 10,000 of them. Mrs. Potter Palmer, who headed that group, bought up 10,000 of these quarters, which saved them from the melting pot. Had she not done that, the Isabella Quarter would be a more expensive collector coin today.

Here is an Isabella Quarter.

IsabellaO.JPG IsalbellaR.JPG

And here is a medal, that was issued during the period, with a likeness of Mrs. Potter Plamer.

Is Potter Palmer O.jpg Is Potter Palmer R.jpg

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Red Book lists the Columbian Exposition half dollar under commemorative. Page 296 in the large print edition. Page 293 in the regular edition.

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

I realize that taste is indisputable, But IMO,
    Just another Butt-Ugly-Barber designed coin.
    Pass all, Fail All.
    Thanks John Barth,
    J.T.

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Du
    If you look in the commemorative section of the Red Book these are the first coin listed.

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Large Print Edition. Best idea they had in years.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. LOL

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted