U Ever get this Import/Export udate from FedEx?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Nov 15, 2017.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Sigh.

Checked tracking on the aureus and saw this (below)

I sent an email to Roma, but I am wondering why I have never run into this before. Anyone else run into this?

I assume SSN is Social Security Number?

M

stuck.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Sure have. Clearance delays are always related to total package values (as I have experienced anyway). Basically Fedex wants import taxes paid up front before they will deliver. You will have to fill out a form and fax/e-mail it back, pay, then delivery will happen.

Again, at least in my experience.

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I just got one in the other direction. Had to pay customs charges into UK. Disproportionately irritated, especially as the horrible website took so long.

5. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I just got one in the other direction. Had to pay customs charges into UK. Disproportionately irritated, especially as the horrible website took so long.

6. 4to2centBC

I have never paid an import tax before. If I remember correctly, I have purchased a couple other coins in excess of this amount, but they were transported back by a bidding agent.

7. Ken Dorney

I wont pretend to be an expert on US import/customs rules, regulations, laws or any interpretation of them, but I highly suspect it entirely depends on how the customs form is filled out, what words are used, who examines the paperwork (if any at all), and who knows what other factors. It may truly be random, I have no idea. I've had parcels worth $5,000 delayed (and paid about $40 taxes), $10,000 parcels inspected, no taxes or delays, and of course many where there is no delay or inspection.

Again, it almost seems random.

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have not had to pay, so far. I have had short holds in the US. A lot of weights that cost 1 GBP (and 50 GBP shipping) waited about a month in the UK and less than 12 hours in the US. I am still taking pics. Note that my photo set-up is not quite to Doug's standards.
    Chris Rudd Pb weight lot.JPG
    Chris Rudd Pb wt lot pics.JPG

I need to do some modest cleaning on this lot. The weights have marks that I can not read due to dirt or lead oxides. I want to take off the easy stuff, but leave as muck of the original that I can. Has anyone here cleaned ancient lead?

Alegandron, Bing and ominus1 like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I've never had a positive experience with FedEx.

What's wrong with using the postal service?

galba68 and Severus Alexander like this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Just use water and a soft toothbrush. Anything more will damage the surfaces.

Lots. Especially in the US. Fedex in the US can expedite clearance far faster than the postal system and delivery is lightning fast (usually and certainly compared to the postal system). Oh. Fedex is also often cheaper.

Alegandron and rrdenarius like this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I can only talk from my own experience in Australia - where so far I have had problems 100% of the time whenever the seller decides to use FedEx (against my will too). There are always issues related to their mindless bureaucratic processes.

Alegandron and Severus Alexander like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

All the stuff @Ken Dorney is as I experienced. The SSN is your social security number for the Duties. In my experience, Duties threshhold is roughly $7500, but it is a minimal amount: perhaps 0.50% or under $50USD. I was expecting a much higher Duties slam when the first time happened. For consumer products import duties, I could pay up to 2%-25% Duties, dependent on Commodity Class.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Agreed with @Ken Dorney as to shipping experience in the US.

Additionally, UPS in the US are under RAILROAD Transportation Laws and Regulations. FEDEX is under AIRLINE Transportation Laws and Regulations. (YES, there are clear differences.) USPS are their own rules (Federal), and can be hit or miss in the US.

Me, personally, and for bidness: FEDEX.

14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

No shipping method is perfect, but for speed, efficiency, and peace of mind Fedex is the way to go here in the US. Recently, I had a Fedex shipment (my 2 lyres drachm) coming from Europe and the seller had written my address incorrectly on the envelope. I would have had no way of knowing this without the Fedex email notification of a pending shipment. I was able to arrange for the package to held at a local Walgreens for pickup. I hate to think what would've happened if it had been sent Registered Mail!

@4to2centBC call Fedex and see what needs to be done. Every time I've called them about shipments they have been most helpful.

15. 4to2centBC

I am going to call FedEx today. Roma replied with a similar answer.

Thanks

16. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

The one time I was charged FedX import fees, on a shipment from LHS in Zurich, that also triggered the state of Illinois to charge me sales tax, even though all coins--ancient and modern--are explicitly excluded from being taxed. I protested quite far up the bureaucratic food chain and was essentially told at every level: "Yeah, you're right. So?" I could pay the tax or I could go to court. I eventually took one for the numismatic team and paid; my worry was that a court case would trigger the legislature to tighten up the sloppy language of the relevant statute, the intent of which was to exclude modern bullion items from sales tax but which was poorly worded in a way that exempted all coins, whether bullion or numismatic.

Phil Davis

Theodosius, rrdenarius and Alegandron like this.
  17. 4to2centBC

Well, I called FedEx. They emailed me a form to fill out with SSN and other minor details. They verbally gave me a numeric email address to use as a return address for the signed form.

I did all that several hours ago. I am still waiting for it to be released.

At least I know where it is. I am being patiently patient.

18. Ken Dorney

Last time I had to do this it took a few days.

4to2centBC and Alegandron like this.
  19. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I fought these "audit initiation" claims successfully each time with a curtly worded letter and pulling out the correct statute which indicate that numismatic material isn't taxed. After sending it off, I never heard back so I assume they gave up - nothing further has happened and I received them in 2013/2014/2015. Needless to say, it's a large reason why I almost always use auction representation these days rather than buying directly.

rrdenarius, 4to2centBC and Alegandron like this.
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I always tell the auction firms to send my coins via "Neutral registered letter post" Hence no duties/customs fees;) I am batting 1000/ not one shipment lost/stolen!

Curtisimo and GregH like this.
  21. 4to2centBC

Understood, but I hate losing control of my bids. Enough so that I deal with this pain.

Although, I must say, that I had Phil Davis bid for me at NAC a few years back and that worked out real well.

rrdenarius and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted