Typical Saturday Here

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Feb 17, 2017.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

We been known to shoot porpoises, ya' know? :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, @-jeffB, the gold didn't even quite clear $30K total. $28,225. I spent my whole budget on large cents and one 3 cent CN.

Morgans went for INSANE money.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Cascade likes this.
  4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Can you give us the price on each gold?

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. I'm supposed to be heading up that way periodically to visit Dad; I'm sure he'd understand if I went missing half a day to do some high-level bargain-hunting. How does one make payment for one of these? I guess I would be a little nervous about heading up I-81 with $30K cash in the car, not to mention explaining it to the bank and Those Who Watch...

Camreno likes this.
  6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I'm amazed to hear about all this. Rural PA must be more sophisticated that rural VA. I've never heard of such an auction within driving distance of me and I would be very surprised if all that gold could be absorbed by people within 50 miles radius of where I live. The only coin show within driving distance is a quarterly show which seems to be mostly Morgans. I've been to it but not seen as much gold in one show as you have in one auction. And this is in the city.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

The key is not necessarily sophistication. It's hoarding and the stacker culture run amok and these people die, and their stashes get sold. They drive old cars, eschew technology, but hoard PM's. They, like many on CT, can't imagine why non-metal fiat currency works.

Bottom line: NO shortage of PM's in my area.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm looking for a way to upload a sheet.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

PM sent.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Right now, it's my notes on the auction sheet. I'm going to make a Numbers spreadsheet.

11. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Any good websites out there for finding local coin auctions? Or just go to LCS's and get info there? Really want to go to one.

12. V. Kurt Bellman

AuctionZip.com is one. But the real rural ones may not even be on that. Sometimes local newspapers and "Penny Savers" are it.

sakata and IBetASilverDollar like this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

At the one I was at yesterday, there was ABSOLUTELY ZERO cellphone signal. Zip, nada, zilch.

There was no point in going to the later auction I had planned. I blew my budget mostly on pre-1840 cents in VF and better grades, my present standard. The HIGHEST price I paid was 50% of Numusmedia FMV.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  14. V. Kurt Bellman

Is that the Fredericksburg show? I almost went last year.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

No. Fredericksburg would be so far away it would be like going to another country. don't forget, Virginia is almost 500 miles long along its southern border. I am way west. I am referring to Salem - still way too far to consider going regularly.

-jeffB likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Oh, so NASCAR runs in a cereal bowl near you?

C-B-D likes this.
  17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Hardly. That's even further way than Salem. I am guessing you have never been through south western VA. There is about 150 miles of it west of Roanoke. Some of us like to avoid the big city.

green18 likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I go to the Salem show!

19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Next weekend? I was actually considering it myself. I've not been in two years as it is too far but my wife will be away.

C-B-D likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

I've been all through I-81 of Virginia MANY times, all 324 miles of it. I was referring to Bristol.

sakata likes this.
  21. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Ah, okay. I apologize. It is just that most people around here think of NASCAR and Martinsville, which is way east of me. Bristol: no, I am not quite that far west or south. As I know nothing about NASCAR I did not even know there is a track there. To me cars are a means to get from A to B, not to go round in circles.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    RonSanderson and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted