TypeCoin’s Top 10 for 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

So sorry to hear that, TypeCoin! :( :( :( So the whole thing has been repatinated, yes? In which case I will be looking out for that kind of patina. I think you've noted that bright green can sometimes be problematic? Did this patina raise your suspicions beforehand at all?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Too bad. Any idea what the fake patina is made of?

SC

4. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I think patina was only applied around the alterations. The added patina was designed to have the same color and texture patterns as the genuine present patina.

Bright and powdery green, yes. The patina on this coin did not have those characteristics.

Metallic characteristics raised my suspicions more than the patina. I decided that if there was an alteration, acetone would reveal it, and I was correct.

Ironically, it is made of genuine patina. A glue was applied to the surface, and genuine patina from a different coin was scraped off and applied to the glue on this coin. It hardened and created a firm patina with convincing coloration and texture. Acetone softened the glue, which caused the patina to peel away.

I used this technique to repair this Qi knife a few years back:

5DFA9321-7889-4F0C-AB57-110620A18ED2.jpeg 0E5C05F3-74F4-4397-B65D-4E7816403BDE.jpeg

otlichnik and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is a bummer TypeCoin. Though on the bright side you were able to detect it. If it were mine it would have set in my cabinet forever with me none the wiser. Sorry the coin ended up not being what you thought but good detective work.

Draft saved Draft deleted