Type setters... have you ever expanded or thought about it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I wish I could just collect it all... but life expenses seem to always come up!

Anyway, seeing all three employees at the local coin shop exclusively type set collect, it has really peaked my interest. Has anyone 'expanded' on a 20th century type set or deviated from it in different ways? (I'm sure there has, just didn't know how else to word it) Or let me spin things another way --- would you rather have a set of MS63 Peace dollars or ONE super nice MS65 1934S Peace dollar?

As I've continued in my collecting journey these thoughts have kept spinning in my head... almost painfully... ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Years ago, I sold most of my coins. I kept Large Cents, Indians, and Lincolns, and my Type Set. The Type Set is the only collection I'll spend money on, now. When you show coins to a non-collector, a Type Set is MUCH more interesting than a date set of just about anything. Also, my Type Set cuts off in 1964, the end of silver coins; much simpler to figure out.

geekpryde likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

downloadfile.jpeg I started with a type set when I was a kid, but then inherited our family collection which was started somewhere in the late 1860s or early 1870s. Since the bulk of the work was already done, I set out to complete the twentieth century set (cent through dollar). Last year I bought the final piece, this lovely 1913-S.

JPeace$ and geekpryde like this.
  5. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

There are many different ways to do a type set, a type set including major varieties, only error coins, lowball, and tons of other ways.

I played around with this for many months but I can say the best choice I have made in this hobby so far, is deciding to specialize in Bust coinage. What I'm trying to say is, pick a series you really like and learn all you can about it. That doesn't mean you can only buy this one type of coin, if you see a nice coin, buy it! Or you can even continue to work on your type set. But I believe, that you will find yourself picking nicer and nicer coins. Unless you've been collecting for many years, or you're just a genius, it is very hard to be able to accurately grade, cherrypick, authenticate, and find the choice coins of every series, but when you specialize you see all of these problems disappear.

One more thing, that may or may not apply to you, I've found that, for me (many collectors do not agree), I find my happiness, is more in the study of coins, rather than the coins themselves. I do not really have a coin collection (except for a few cheap pieces I have sitting around), the only real collection I have is my numismatic library. I find it more fun to attribute coins for other people and study the nuisances and history of Bust coinage, rather than have the coin sitting in a safe or safety deposit box. That being said, I do like to seek out choice/rare coin, admire and study them for a few days and then pass them along, sometimes I even make a little money to pay for the books. :) I wish someone told me this early on, because it's a lot harder to lose money on coin books than coins, and a lot cheaper. Like I said, this may or may not be for you but consider it.

Thank you for listening to my rant, I thought I would just put it out there, maybe it will help someone out.

Jesse

saltysam-1 likes this.
  6. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

... that photo makes it more painful ...

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I collect type, but it is not for everyone. Also, I am not focused on a type set, but rather on simply nice type coins.

green18 and KSorbo like this.
  8. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

My sentiments exactly! I just like coins that are nice examples for the type and if I like the type I don't mind having more than one. I've also branched off into collecting some paper money types as of late. I could say that I'm ADHD in my collecting habits...

I did start a Buffalo set about 5 years ago but still have a ways to go.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Wow! Talk about misreading a thread title!!!

All I could see was "Type Setters" which is a very old profession associated with old printing presses.

You see, each letter was placed one at a time for the printing plate and these folks were called Type Setters.

Too much time in graphic arts I guess.

JPeace$, kaparthy and CBJesse like this.
  10. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

If you're on a limited budget, the great thing about type collecting is that you have to stop before every acquisition and study a new series. This maximizes the time you spend learning (which I enjoy) instead of buying, and also minimizes the expense since you can always go for the easy year/mintmark.

I'd also echo what doug444 said, if you care about interesting non-collectors in what you're doing. Open up a whole series of your favorite coin, no matter how nice, and watch their eyes glaze over. Open up a type collection and you can tell them a story about each piece. In this way I've convinced a few people that I'm not crazy after all. (No, it doesn't always work.)

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

In a word: WOW!

12. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I'm a type set collector. For now.

I started my parameters with all of the easy coins basically starting around 1815 and continuing through 2000 and going from half-cent through dollar. I also get both metal compositions for the coins as to me that constitutes a different coin when it's made from 40% silver or just copper-nickel.

The set basically stands at about 90 coins, but I always move the goal posts and add a new slot here and there but ONLY after I get the new coin. For instance I don't have slots for any early proof coins, however I add the slot after I acquire it so it doesn't make my set seem to hard to complete.

I also include any coins that I like that don't fit in with my normally issued coinage. So for example classic commemoratives, any time I find one I like it goes to the set and then gets included as a type. But again only after I acquire it since I have no desire to collect all of them. Same goes for gold.

As of right now I'm a little over 70% complete (keep a spreadsheet just for this) and most of that is common modern day stuff now except for about 6 coins.

This is the beauty of type sets, can build em how you like em. I also think they are the best place to start collecting as it allows you to become familiar with all series versus only specializing in wheat cents. Plus series sets get boring collecting the same coin over and over again.

After my type-set I just pickup coins that are high quality and attractive. Even buying them as I build my major set.

It's all in preference.

13. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

+1

I only have four criteria for my Type Set:
    1. I don't already own the "Type".
    2. CAC approved.
    3. I can afford it.
    4. I like the coin.

Since my criteria are loose, and there are still lots of types I need, I have not expanded or deviated.

14. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

green18 likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So Gutenberg.........

kaparthy likes this.
  16. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

type setters? .... hmmm someone messed up the typesetting on a coin? so this is an error coin thread?? lol
    I used to ignore typesets as a mater of course. "Why would you want to do that?" I though. But something "clicked" in me about 3 years ago and started my first type set album. I quickly became frustrated with the constraints of someone else's choice for what should be in a type set, so started my own.
    So my second step was all current issue coins. That quickly got bogged down with the series coins (quarter and dollars)
    so I worked on 20th century for a while. (third set)
    I finally let go of the 20'th century and it became an "interesting / history / story coins set" set: the fourth iteration: v.4.0. This is now in 2 parts, one more type oriented the other more interesting story oriented. v.4.2
    I took that one a step further and though I'd start doing the most common year for each type: v.5+. Really more like v.4.2.2 Rather like that one, as it has the benefit of being more affordable too, while adding a dimension of study and research to the pursuit It gives the set an unusual additional distinction: most common instead of most rare. Add a bit of history and economics as to why that year had the highest mintage, adds a bit of interest.
    Starting to get the itch to start v.5... all Denver mint set with "sample" series coins .... hmmmmmm..... : ) So many mints, (D, S, P, CC, O, OO, W, ...) so little time.
    So, I still do my roll searching, because it's relaxing and I just like it. But I occasionally take the proceeds of my roll finds and pick up a type or two.
    It's just the - type - of guy I am. : )

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

One MS65 1934S Peace Dollar. I'm trying to condense 90% of my overall collection. It will be easier for my adult children to deal with.

18. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I like what CBJesse said. I mainly focus on Franklins and I would said 80% of coins I buy are Franklin halves, but if there is a coin I see that I like and it isn't a Franklin I will still buy it if it is within my budget.
    A type set does seem like it would be a lot of fun and is something I will probably eventually undertake, but I think my main focus will always be Franklins.

19. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I thought that I had a thread here on these about printing, authors, and poets.
    Iceland 50 Thorlaksson Back.jpg

Iceland 50 kronur series of 1961. On face: Guthbrandur Thorlaksson.

saltysam-1 likes this.
  20. costello

costello Member

Do people focus on finding coins with the same grade for every coin in a type set?

21. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

No, I dont think people try for the same grade so much on this set as much as they go for the best example they can acquire/afford.

The idea kind of behind this whole set is that you can avoid the key dates and expensive coins to focus more on a pleasing, attractive, high grade example.

But thats just what it means to me. Theres loads of other ways to assemble a type set, lowball, VF-XF, or even getting just the best key dates from each series to represent your desired coin for the type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted