Type set books for countries?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, Jan 7, 2015.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Sounds incredibly organized!

Since I don't want to reinvent the wheel, would you be willing to share just a screenshot of what your spreadsheet looks like? If not, that's fine. It wouldn't be that hard for me to make something like it in Excel, I just would like to see what values (titles, headings) you use, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

It's not excel, though that would probably be better. It is just a word document using columns and lines. The titles and headings are pretty much what I noted in the other post. If I could figure out how to do a screen shot I would but I'm not real good with that stuff. didn't start messing with computers until a few years ago. I tried to upload it as a file like a picture but I couldn't find it when I tried.

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

5. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Cool. Great find. But I'm dumbfounded as to why they are selling for so much. I know dansco is great and all, but I'd rather buy a much cheaper version if it was available. Are they selling for so much because there is nothing else? Or are they selling like that just because they are collectible? Maybe it's a mixture. I don't understand that collecting because it's not actual coins, it's like paper money, worse maybe actually because it's not even money. I guess it's exonumia. In any case, I wish someone just made them more affordable!

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

These albums were made almost 50 years ago and have been long out of print. At that time, it just seems Dansco got too ambitious and got bitten too hard. Those were the years where world coins were just too undervalued. Unused albums are essentially "rare" by now.

I have no idea how much were made but judging from historical sales - I suspect they would be under ten thousand. Considering these were made 50 years ago - who knows how many were destroyed / thrown out along the way. That said, a lot of these albums when complete - often sell for more than four figures!

It's a real shame - these albums are beautiful and who knows if Dansco knew that their product are made to last. Don't get me wrong - there were so many alternatives available such as PVC, colorful paper containing sulfur and such. You are talking about 1960s - collectors only started to realize the harm of PVC around 1980s (or I could be wrong).

I'm up for a design challenge if there is a publisher interested. Here's some examples: http://issuu.com/gxseries

That said, I should get serious and finish the scan that I promised a while ago. Next up will be Japan type set 1870 - 1960s.

7. joecoincollect

Cool. I just looked at the link. Are some of those ones you created? I have no idea how you did all that, but I see you scanned the dansco set for japan. Are those your coins? Very awesome page you got going. Maybe I'd add some captions next to each book to describe whether you created them or they already exist. Just a though

8. joecoincollect

image.jpg Here's what I currently use. I have my world silvers in these red books and another three ring binder. I also just got that little book you see to the left. It's from canada, the Uni-safe Coins of the World book that hold 142 coins. This book is difficult to use since there's over 200 countries now. Also, there are three different sized pages and they are spread apart. In any case, I decided to do countries from the 1950s and there's only a hundred then

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted