Type set books for countries?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by joecoincollect, Jan 7, 2015.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Hi. I collect mostly world coins of the 20th century. I've noticed that there's not a whole lot out there as far as albums. I particularly like the dansco slide-screen type albums and wonder why type set ones aren't available for a lot of countries. I've seen the slender pop in type ones a few times for Canada and maybe mexico. Also, there are nice dansco type albums for most middle eastern countries on ebay now, although they are about 45 dollars. I would love for Littleton, dansco, or someone to make type set albums for Sweden (and all the Scandinavian countries!), Italy, Germany, Mexico, Canada, France, etc. How awesome would this be!? What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lightrain

lightrain Member

I think you should get to work selling expensive cardboard and plastic to some people who spend lots of money on shiny round little pieces of metal!:rage:

4. joecoincollect

I don't have the resources or time to do this, nor do I know how. If I did pursue this, I wouldn't charge 45 like that ebay guy. Are you a bullion collector or what? You sound like a non collector, which is kinda funny since you're a member on here and took the time to respond. I'm not really interested in what noncollectors think, come to think of it

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, I collect coins but do not have any type set albums either. This is, for example, what Leuchtturm Germany has for euro collectors. (See the "Zubehör" sub-categories on the left.) Lighthouse in the US seems to have less in that category. Makes sense considering where the euro collectors are. In any case, if you have a catalog, you don't need such specialized albums ... IMO, YMMV, etc. ;)

Christian

6. lightrain

lightrain Member

So you think another person should do for you what you wouldn't even do for yourself- much less for others? That's my point. That's why you don't see them available- there must not be enough money in it or demand for it. I know sarcasm doesn't come thru loud and clear on forums. I collect it all, from any time, anywhere- but it's like a business to me. And I would buy type set holders for my world coins and to sell to other world coin collectors. I would love some album toned world coins, so maybe I was just trying to goad you into making some!

7. joecoincollect

What does YMMV mean? Sorry, kinda bad at acronyms and stuff. I'll take a look at the link. I think dansco has a euro coinage album. I also don't know what you mean by if you have a catalog, you don't need specialized albums. I have a Krause book, but I still want these albums I mentioned because of the following: they are compact and easy to store, they narrow down collecting the countries (since type sets are straight forward), they are wonderful to show to others, and they are safe for coins (depending on materials of course). Lastly, it's fun and not that difficult to accomplish in many cases

8. joecoincollect

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But you'd think demand is sufficient. Since it's so appealing to me, I would surely think others would find it cool and have already got an album created. Maybe not though. I wish there were an authoritative book on world coin collectors, in the US, elsewhere, comparatively, their numbers, etc. I guess that's a huge undertaking. I've talked to this one dealer who seems resourceful but he didn't know what to do about their not being any type set albums. I am happy to see those Middle a Eastern books in any case on ebay. You should take a look. The price almost seems worth it. I already tried to email dansco but can't find them online, I only found a distributor of their products. I'm kinda scared to contact Littleton since they seem to have an aggressive business, if you know what I mean. I appreciate the goading though! I'm brainstorming at this point :)

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

YMMV is the lazy bum's version of "your mileage may vary". :) And no, I am not entirely consistent myself, as I do buy and keep mint sets for example. But then the "holes" are already filled with coins, hehe. All I am trying to say is that quite a few collectors in Europe are not that interested in such type set albums, and that does of course have an effect on what manufacturers make. Good luck with your search though!

Christian

joecoincollect likes this.
  10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

11. joecoincollect

Wow. Very awesome. I read about a more recent book released or in the works by an American author and American folders, but I didn't know this one you mentioned existed. Thanks so much. Now I'm going to see if I can get the book!

gxseries likes this.
  12. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

I don't know if this will help you but it has helped me with organizing coins I collect where there is nothing available on the market to help me out. I have attached a few pictures of the 1 Mark German Large Eagle set from 1891-1916. There are 120 coins in this set from 6 mints. I have done the same for the Small Eagle set that started in 1873 as well. The labels indicate the year, mint, and mintage x1M. I apologize for the poor quality photos but the concept should be clear.

Happy collecting.
    1 Mark 1891-1899.JPG 1 Mark 1899-1903.JPG 1 Mark 1903-1907.JPG 1 Mark 1907-1911.JPG 1 Mark 1911-1916.JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    mlov43, onecenter, jj00 and 2 others like this.
  13. joecoincollect

Very nice collection. I like the way you set it up. The only thing I thought of though is grading and maybe purchase info. Do you have a notebook where you write the grades in your opinion and other info? If I had such an impressive collection, I'd definitely have spent some time assessing their condition and value. They look like they are loose in binder pages. Is that correct? I like 2x2s so I can write info on front and back, and I'm kinda afraid to give that up

14. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

I spend a good deal of time assessing value and condition at the time of purchase, but after that I honestly give it little attention. I could not tell you how much I paid for nearly any coin in my collection. Again, after I own it, I give little thought to how much it cost to get it. The only notes I keep are what is next on the list to acquire.

Back to the binder and pages. I have attached a few pictures of this binder/page set up used for this set. They are not loose but not in 2x2's either. I lived in Italy and Germany for a good while and I noticed this style of organizing coins as an alternative to 2x2's. A large amount of coins can be stored in a small amount of space compared to Dansco 7000 binders that I use for other sets.

This sheet is made for 25mm coins and has three inserts that slide into the page. There are other sheets set up for smaller and larger diameter coins. They retain the coins very well but I have not seen them stateside.
    album page 1.JPG album page 2.JPG album page 3.JPG

15. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I had one almost like that back in the 80s except the coin sleeves slide in from the side. Can't remember the name of the company, though it was a US company. I housed my British and British India type sets in them. Lighthouse may make something along this line.

16. joecoincollect

Interesting pages. I've never seen those. I know some of the 2x2 pages are soft plastics, which means they probably have PVC. Do you know if those have PVC? I would worry about that, but I'm sure you got that covered. As for the note taking, I don't blame you. I've read many times that it's important to document what you bought for heirs and such, but it's quite an undertaking when you have a lot of coins. I could improve my documentation a lot, but I kinda overlook this aspect. I'm trying to write info on the back of my 2x2s, which seems like the least I can do, but I sometimes forget. I also collect all my receipts, but the pile is massive!

17. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I have a spread sheet on my computer. Every purchase is recorded, description of the coin and condition, date purchased, who from, what I paid. I give each coin a # such as FR19 that I also use on my photos of the coins, kind of an private tracking system, I have a spread sheet for each type set. Plus I keep all my reciepts in folders by year purchased. Wow I just realized I must be OCD, lol.

mlov43 likes this.
  18. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

There ARE Dansco type folders available. I have gotten Great Britain, Panama, Mexico, Austrailia, Philippines and, of course Canada and current Euro stuff. Some of these are older, but I get all my coin stuff from Brooklyn Gallery. Even idf they don't have them in stock, they can tell you where to get them and who made them, but all mine are Dansco.

Steven Chase likes this.
  19. joecoincollect

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I will look into this. I didn't know they ever made type albumns for some of the countries you mentioned

20. joecoincollect

Yeah, that is kinda OCD! I'm not the cleanest person, ask my wife, but when it comes to my coins I'm pretty clean and orderly. If you record even small purchases, I might say you are OCD. I had an excel file too but it was burdensome listing 3 or 4 dollar purchases, even the 8 or 9 dollar ones. It makes sense for 30-4o plus purchases. Another thing that would throw me off: let's say you get a group of coins, and you only keep a few. How would enter the price you paid? Would you divide the ones you kept by the total, or what? Just curious

21. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I record everything I purchase, regardless of price. If I buy a group of coins, I sell the ones I don't want and deduct what I sell them for from the purchase price, then divide the cost among the coins I kept according to thier relative value.

Steven Chase and joecoincollect like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted