Type 2 Quarter Blank Planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by eric6794, Jul 29, 2016.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Today I was showing a coworker a few coins that I am selling and he asked me about a blank planchet dime that I had and he said he had never seen one before well a couple hours passed and I opened a roll of quarters and low and behold another blank plachet pops out, It has been a VERY long time since I have found a blank and I found it odd that I found one after talking and telling him what it was and how it happens. Pic quality isnt that great because for some reason my digital microscope is acting up. I have never seen it show a black background before and the lighting is way off. All of the LED lights are working and everything seems to be ok but the light is not right. I will figure it out sooner or later lol. blank planchet1.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What does it weigh?

4. eric6794

5.66 grams, typical clad weight.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

It looks like one of those NASA satelite photos of a planet

Mojavedave and eric6794 like this.
  6. eric6794

LOL, it does doesn't it.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Why go through all that trouble Eric?
    Why not just use a normal camera such as the one on your Cellphone? Just place the item on a white background and snap the picture.. you don't need a digital microscope for every single coin.. just saying

8. paddyman98

Here is my NGC Planchet.. 5.7 Grams
    3430073-001.JPG

eric6794 likes this.
  9. eric6794

your absolutely right Paddy but the camera on my cell is worse quality than my digital scope. I had hoped to have a new camera/phone for birthday but my wife surgery came first. I work with that I have. I am thinking of getting a new phone on credit but I hate credit so I've avoided it as long as possible but with me selling coins, paper money and other things in the near future I really do need to upgrade.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. eric6794

doesnt it cost more to have a blank graded than its worth?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

Haha.. If I got a quarter for every time someone said that to me I would be rich!
    I did it for 2 reasons.. It looks neat and for educational purposes. I show my kids, nephews and friends and they find it more interesting when presented in this manner ;)

Nice find by the way!

Stevearino and eric6794 like this.
  12. paddyman98

Oh and it's not really graded.
    I don't care much about the grade but the attribution is more important. If the sticker states MINT ERROR.. That's all I really care about ;)

eric6794 likes this.
  13. eric6794

Ok fair enough, and its cool you are teaching family and friends about errors and varieties , I have been trying to teach some people about errors and varieties myself. It helps the coin collecting market but I have talked about it until my head is about to explode.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. eric6794

and thank you

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@eric6794, hope your wife's surgery went well. I've read on many threads that a used Canon Sure Shot can produce very acceptable photos when used with a camera stand. You might want to search for those threads.

Steve

eric6794 likes this.
  16. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

"It has been a VERY long time since I have found a blank and I found it odd that I found one after talking and telling him what it was and how it happens. "

It's known as GOOD karma Eric.

Pickin and Grinin and eric6794 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted