Tyche Provincial ID

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SeptimusT, Jan 9, 2020.

1. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Posted this on FORVM a few weeks back and didn't get a response, so I'll give it a shot here. The portrait vaguely reminded me of Hadrian, but it can be hard to tell with these. Tyche portraits are so common, that really does nothing to narrow it down, and despite the overall good condition, there doesn't seem to be any inscription visible, except maybe EITON on the obverse (which also doesn't narrow it down much, if that's what it even says). Any guesses as to what this might be? It's 20mm, weighs 5.07g.

unid.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

I do agree that it looks like Hadrian, with Tyche on the Reverse.
    My first thought when I see Tyche is Phoenicia, I did a very quick check on cng and there is a very similar type from Dora.
    Hopefully this gives you an avenue to search and I am pretty sure you will get your answer.

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I’m sorry I can’t shed any light on who’s on the obverse side of your coin, @SeptimusT . I think the portrait of Tyche is very interesting. She seems to be looking upward to the Heavens. Anyway, here’s one of my Tyche coins.

TYCHE_POST.jpg

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A bust of Tyche is frequently seen on coins of Mesopotamia. Perhaps try there. The portrait could be almost anyone since provincial portraits from that area aren't terribly specific-- Caracalla, perhaps?

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I don't think it is Hadrian. I think it is most likely from the Severan period possibly Geta. My best guess is that the coin would be from Edessa in Mesopotamia.

PeteB likes this.
  7. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Still no exact ID, but I'm thinking Mesopotamia is on the right track. Carrhae Caracalla is close, but not an exact match (they are all laureate heads only, couldn't find a draped or cuirassed one). Not having Caracalla in RPC yet makes it a lot harder.

8. Gallienus, Flaviopolis, Cilicia. See coin below from recent Numismatic Lanz eBay auction (21.0mm; 5.76g; n/a)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do believe you have it. Good work!

Spaniard and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted