Featured Two undocumented overdates from Norway

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by KurtS, Oct 9, 2015.

1. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Overdates from Norway aren't well known, probably because most collectors don't look for them. So I'm left to find coins that have no documented markers--which makes it both challenging to find and interesting to research. :)

Here's the date area on a 10 Øre coin from 1937. What got my attention were raised portions of metal outside the expected shape for a "3". Interestingly, they line up with the outline of a "2" used in 1927, which also happens to be the prior year this coin was struck--which for me pretty much clinches the attribution. The dark arrows point to some raised metal which might be the remnant of a prior 7 digit.

[​IMG]

The next is are a series of images of the Norway 1 Øre coin from 1937. That curled mark under the 3 isn't normally part of the digit--the top stroke of the 3 is straight on these coins. So it's most likely a 3/2. And since a 1929 was a high-mintage year, there may have been surplus dies which were re-used subsequent years. The black arrows are raised die lines from heavy polishing.

[​IMG]

There is also something under the last "2" that could be left after a digit polished away.

[​IMG]

Numismat, TIF, Peter T Davis and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

neat

KurtS likes this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice stuff Kurt, thanks for sharing.

KurtS likes this.
  5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I wonder if Norwegian numismatists know about this?

Time to do some Norwegian-language research... I wonder how "overdate" is written in that language?

Aidan_() likes this.
  6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

7Calbrey, KurtS and Aidan_() like this.
  7. KurtS

Often they will use shorthand like we do, ie 1937/27, or they will write out "1937 på 1927" (1937 on 1927). From what I've read, most collectors in Norway don't look for overdates.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  8. KurtS

Interesting--thanks for finding that! :) Often, you will see on coins minted in Norway several digit sizes between consecutive years or even for the same date. Perhaps in the first coin above, 1927 used a larger 7--I will have to check on that.

7Calbrey likes this.
  9. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

Love me some Norway!

Draft saved Draft deleted