Two ugly ducklings from Triton XXIV session 5.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Stolt, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Sharing my two wins from Triton XXIV (online) Session 5.

Theme of the day was provincials related to one of the main focal points of the collection, Mark Antony.

Very happy with both, the Philippi issue is difficult to find with complete detail, and the Cleopatra was misattributed as an RPC I 4773, while in fact it is the slightly scarcer RPC I 4772.

image00507.jpg

MACEDON, Philippi. Mark Antony. 42 BC. Æ (22mm, 7.25 g, 12h). Q. Paquius Ruf(us), legatus coloniae deducendae.

Obverse: Bare head right; A I/C V across field, P below.

Reverse: Togate figure seated left on sella curulis, urn at feet, holding tablet; Q PA[Q]VIVS/[R]VF LEG in two lines in field.

Reference: RPC I 1647

image00450.jpg

PTOLEMAIC EGYPT. Cleopatra VII Thea Neotera (51-30 BC). Æ (18mm 3.89 g , 11h). Chalcis ad Libanon, dated RY 20 of Cleopatra (31/2 BC).

Obverse: BACIΛΛIC KΛEOΠATPAC - Diademed and draped bust right.

Reverse: ETOYC K - Nike advancing right, looking left, holding wreath in right hand and palm frond in left, all within wreath.

Reference: RPC I 4772.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Congrats on the coins. I have the Cleo as part of my collection of her. They almost always come dark like this.

Michael Stolt likes this.
  4. Spargrodan

Spargrodan Well-Known Member

Very sweet, congratz!

5. Michael Stolt

Thank you! I love the Chalkis series, both Athena and Nike are engraved with a sort of relaxed playfulness on these types. The dual portrait issue of Antony and her from the same series is also very high on my list.

medoraman likes this.
  6. Michael Stolt

Thank you! :)

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have both. Both have the same dark look as yours sir. I think its either metal composition, soil conditions, or both. Other coins, besides Cleo's, from that mint usually look the same.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Brilliant, @Michael Stolt!!! From here, it's looking like your ugly ducklings already turned into swans.

9. Michael Stolt

Being placed into their natural habitat of rare Antonian types they shine and become swans :)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Not uglies... those are GREAT coins to capture! Nice, @Michael Stolt !

Draft saved Draft deleted