Two types of collectors ...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Heliodromus, Apr 28, 2022.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Today I buy for the enjoyment of owning and studying the item. I try not to go crazy with the prices, but “investment” is not on the table. If I had been an “investor”, I should have purchased a lot more gold bullion coins. LOL.

I do sell coins now and then if I upgrade something, or far less often, lose interest. When I was a dealer, I bought and sold many pieces. I only regret a few of those sale, like a couple of the 1895 Proof Morgan Dollars I had, because they are worth a lot more. I would not want them as a collector.

+VGO.DVCKS and sand like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m both. I buy wholesale lots, pull the nicest and most valuable for my collection, and sell the rest for a profit, which I then invest into higher-value coins, which tend to have better upward potential.

All the while, I am having fun chasing the thrill of the hunt, and not feeling guilty for spending my salary on coins. I’ve been doing this for a decade, and I am not tired of it yet.

7Calbrey, +VGO.DVCKS and johnmilton like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I wish I could duplicate your model, @TypeCoin971793. After I retired as a dealer, my customer list and supply chains dried up.

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@TypeCoin971793, this approach is brilliant. Granted, experience in retail would surely help. If I were savvy enough, I'd try this out.

Draft saved Draft deleted