Two tragedies from My Father's Collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Jul 24, 2020.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

The 1909-S V.D.B. Graffiti is just wanting to be mourned a bit by some coin lovers. Obviously, nothing can be done to help it.

The 1955 DDO, is by far the best of the three My Father had. It may even be a Red and in a higher grade. Tragically, it came back 92 from PCGS.
    Is there ANY sense at cracking it and trying it again for a grade? Is it that obviously cleaned?

Thanks all. 1909-SV.D.B.GraffitiObv.jpg 1909-SVDBGraffitiRev.jpg 1909-SVDBGraffitiSlab.jpg 1955 DDOGenObv.jpg 1955 DDOGenSlab1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

What grade is that 1955 ? Wow amazing coin.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

That is too bad. Although, look on the bright side. Even having a 1955 DDO a 1909-S V.D.B. is an accomplishment on its own. I like to think--even though it's graffitied--that it is neat to think that someone many years ago was doing something with the coin. Damaging it, yes, but someone was doing something with it and that adds a little bit of interesting history to it. That 55 does look amazing. I wonder if the red is coming from the cleaning. The photos are a little bit dark to see.

rosethe likes this.
  5. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

It didn't grade. 92

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Holy Shamolee!!! I am viewing on my phone. What kept the 55 from grading?! I can’t see anything on my phone that would hold it back.

7. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

It came back from PCGS 92-cleaned. That was 10 years ago. Would it warrant a second chance? NGC? PCGS again?

It is really pretty.

SorenCoins and spirityoda like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ahhh.... I see you said that in another post..... My eyes are not what they once were and I am looking on my phone. I wouldn’t feel good about advising you to do that. But the difference in value for a clean grade would sure make that a decent gamble...... But if the luster has been destroyed, you won’t get a straight grade. And I sure can’t tell looking on my phone..... I never was an error guy but that 55 was always on my dream list.

SorenCoins and rosethe like this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

crack it out and put it in the sun to turn it darker lol jk

rosethe and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted