Two Storage Questions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jwt708, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I have two ancient coin storage questions:

Does anyone use a coin cabinet to store their coins in? I think they're very cool and like the idea of pulling out a tray and getting to see a bunch of coins at once. The cabinet seems classy and neat but I think they have problems - like being an easy target for theft. If anyone does use them, I would be grateful to see yours and to hear your opinions of it.

My next question is about paper envelopes. Any here use them? Are there any long term risks to their use? Anything I'm missing?

Currently my coins are mostly in flips in a Tupperware-type food storage container. While this is practical and not very expensive, I'm in need of more supplies and I'm just brainstorming on what to do with storing my collection.

Thanks!

$ignofthedollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

While we're on the storage subject, I keep my coins in wooden cigar boxes that appear to be made of mahogany, sometimes with cedar lining. Since many cigar boxes retain some of the aroma of their original contents I've often wondered if that chemical presence has adverse effects on a coins surface.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well...coming from a background in moderns, wood is usually recommended against. Mahagony if I remember correctly is one of the safer woods, but I may be mistaken. There is a coin cabinet maker here in England and I'm living in England so I was thinking if this is something I might do, I should best make my mind up while I'm still living here. So now I'm giving it serious thought.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think paper is fine for short term but I have no idea how it is for longer periods. I do know for a fact, that there is something in paper that causes dryness on skin when handled over time. Handling letters everyday really dries out my fingers. It worse in the winter but I don't know how it would affect metal. I would think it could hurt the coin, therefore I would not use paper.

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Mine are in a basic black plastic box. I am really interested in finding a way I can store and display my coins. I was thinking of a cabinet but I would not know where to find one.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Most wood will affect coins, but I believe mahogany is OK.

I store my coins in 2x2 non PVC flips in binders. The binders have pages of non-PVC flip holders where I can store up to 20 coins per page. Each binder represents a specified period of time, i.e., First Century BC, First Century AD, etc, while my catalog reflects which binder, page and line number for each coin. Being in flips and binders allows ease of access without using up space. Cabinets are nice looking but require space. And what happens when you run out of room in the cabinet? Start another?

I know it sounds like a lot, but I highly recommend keeping a detailed catalog with all the information about the coin and your purchase for future reference.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's what I do with my military trade tokens, organized by state for domestic issues and country for overseas issues. Maybe I'll do the same for my ancients. Probably by "Kingdom" then by era.

I have a pretty detailed catalog. I learned to use MS Access so I could catalog detailed information about my collection and generate various reports. I just expanded it a little so I could track which coins I have photos of and which ones need reshoots. Here's a screenshot from a slightly earlier stage of it's development. It's changed a little since I took this but the first black box is my own catalog number, I call it the JWT number. Capture.JPG

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

In 1985, I bought this handy storage-box from chrsmat => money well spent!!

stevex6 coin storage cabinet hoot.jpg

... but after several years of enjoyment, the box was revamped ... [​IMG]
    Hey, considering most of my coins have been buried in dirt (or worse) for the past 2000 years, I'm thinking that a sweet wooden box is probably gonna be okay for storing my cool coins!!?

stoned bee.jpg

Ionia esphesos AE Bee & Stag a.jpg ionia ephesos a.jpg Ionia Ephesos Tetartemorion a.jpg

... hope this helps ...

Hey => it's Friday!!

:rolleyes:

12. $ignofthedollar

$ignofthedollar Well-Known Member

I have been thinking more and more about getting a nice coin cabinet to store alot of my raw coins in. I think it would be a beautiful thing to have in the house, a conversation piece in itself.

Is it going to affect or "tone" some of the coins I would choose to put in it? Well, I hope it does..not like I would put 1804 silver dollars in it and such.:)

I want one!

13. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I think it is down to budget. Certainly be careful of buying anything wood. Any coins that are stored should be checked for deterioration/changes on a regular basis. Also think about security if you are going to display them, both the cabinet and also your house!

I keep mine in Lindner trays or an aluminium case. They used to be in non PVC double flips in an album. I am happier they are in the trays.
    IMG_2764.JPG
    They are also in various tubs etc, awaiting various things, attribution, cleaning, photos etc.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

I think Steve is safe from glaucoma.

Alegandron and stevex6 like this.
  15. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Those red trays are a great way to display your coins.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Are they? ... they probably are totally fine.

Weird => I must have 30-40 of these Canadian proof sets, yet this one turned my silver dollar coin kinda blue (ummm, really cool blue!!) ... "click on it" and tell me if this is PVC disease (thanks)

... yah, I'm never sure what's good, or bad for coins (it's a crap-shoot!!) ...

Errr, hopefully acetone will figure-out the poor decisions?

IMG_3892.JPG

:oops:

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Tannin and tannic acid is low is mahogany and high in oak. It does react on metals, especially iron and copper. It is common in tea and coffee, and gives much of the coloration. If the cabinet is home constructed and the wood is covered with acrylic finish rather than oil, wax, etc. The coin metal would probably safe. I would never use flocking/sheared velvet or felt, as the commercial manufacture of these can contain chemical contaminants, esp. if from the far east. I also would use Kointain holders for coins in a cabinet even though they are some of the most difficult to work with, they work very well for coins to be handle.

http://www.brooklyngallery.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=0140-KTH195

chrsmat71 likes this.
  18. I would advise keeping your coins away from the following holders:
    - BCW Flips
    - Bleached/Dyed paper envelopes
    - Any contact against paper with info that isn't laser printed
    - Any wood aside from Mahogany, as most other woods will tone coins. (unless that's what you want ;))
    - Any cabinet with Wool-felt or any other non-synthetic insert. Several years of pulling your trays will scratch/wear the surface of the coin that is in contact with the insert.

I have a group of 6 denarii that are encased in Littleton Coin Company plastic cards. When i purchased the group there was no toning; now each coin has either a brown or iridescent toning on the surface. I'll provide pictures later.
    The alleged "PVC Free" Vinyl BCW flips have colored 5 of my coins green/blue. I will be migrating to a new storage system. I'm having a custom mahogany cabinet made by cabinetsbycraig.net I'll show pictures in 3-4 months when it's complete.

This is the plan:
    Capture.PNG
    The cabinet will stand close to 48" tall with the feet included. It will consist of 30 trays with combinations of 1", 1.25", 1.5", and 2" inserts. A few of the trays will be 5/8" thick to hold thicker coins like staters and Ptolemaic AE's at a reasonable depth. 2x slab drawers that can hold 80 NGC style slabs total. Since this first draft, we have added doors over the tray section and an extra 2 open trays for miscellaneous items. As shown in the picture, there will be 2 shelves to hold numismatic related books; the largest of which are my ERIC II and 100 Greatest Ancient Coins by HJB. In total, it will be able to hold 1200 plus coins, adding room for collection growth.

If anyone is serious about constructing a custom cabinet, I suggest you email Craig. He provides serious craftsmanship, non-damaging synthetic inserts, a low cost (comparatively,) and is flexible with options. He has made several cabinets for members over at Forum where you can find him @cmcdon0923.

The cost for a cabinet may seem high, but they retain their value; as can be seen when a few are listed every couple of months through popular Auction Houses.

-Michael

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

ok everyone, thanks for all the private messages, but i do NOT sell those coin boxes anymore....sorry.

some of you guys and girls are very organized...
    i dig that little coin cabinet pish, and if you breaking out ms access...dang, i'm impressed.

stevex6 likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

*Friday night self edit*

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I use paper envelopes now having abandoned my trays and cases (off brand not Abfil) because the number of coins made them unwieldy for my way too many coins. While envelopes may be advertised as acid free, we really won't know the long term effect until it is too late for me to comment.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted