Two Saint-Gaudens (the best made) and two Liberties'

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doc J, May 9, 2018.

1. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

It was a good weekend for me. I found two Saint-Gaudens (the most beautiful coin every made) along with a couple of Liberty Coins.

[​IMG]

I also found a few clad Morgan dollars that I think are graded poorly (grade inflation).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

4. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I am in the process of adding to my list. Here are two that were grossly over-graded:
    [​IMG]

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Love the old holders

6. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

Yes, and I agree. :greedy:

I also collect badly graded slabs (holders is a better description). I say it makes the hobby seem sketchy when most opinions are well done.

I still love the Saint Gaudens (1907-1933) for the beauty of the design.

7. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Is grading really SO hard that only a couple of grading services can do it well?

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am in full agreement on the beautiful perfection that is the St. Gaudens design. Yes sir.

GoldFinger1969 and Doc J like this.
  9. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

That wasn't my opinion. My picture was of over-valued coins (I think both are no longer around). I have a side-hobby of finding poorly graded coins (yes, that is weird).

I think certain people that grade coins are excellent, and some guys that grade coins are not so good. All grading services have good people and some not-so-good people.

10. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I sure fully agree. I look far and wide for fairly priced Saint Gaudens. I prefer the ~MS63 or ~MS62 (see above) over the proof or higher rated coins. These sell for a small premium over melt value.

I get a work of art coin which was minted from 1907-1933. A+

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not grad inflation, thats basement slabbing grading

Yes. The basement ones don't even try as they want high grades to sell for more.

Depends what your definition of grading service is.

12. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

We are on the same page here except that I am not a dealer of coins nor have I ever sold a coin.

I am just a long time coin accumulator that enjoys the hobby. It was never an investment for me. I started saving old coins long before I knew about the grading services.

I've just noticed lately that a grading service slab can be helpful or maybe not.

13. baseball21

Stick to the eBay approved grading services, those are the legit ones.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  14. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

Very funny. I assume that you are a dealer? Good luck with that.

15. baseball21

Not funny at all, was trying to help you out since you had mentioned gradeflation for those morgans where those slabs should have never been taken seriously

16. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

Thanks but eBay charges a 8% commission to dealers.

Most coins that I see on eBay are priced 20%+ above market. That is price-inflation.

17. baseball21

What are you talking about?

Being a dealer has nothing to do with the eBay percentage and at no point was pricing ever mentioned until now.

18. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Sorry Doc J, don't know what you're talking about. Stick with PCGS/NGC for most of of your purchases, and occasionally ANACS and ICG, and you should be fine.
    ???
    Why buy basement slabbed coins when you can get good ones that aren't cleaned, either raw or graded by a real service, for not that much more money?

19. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

This is the internet so everyone is an expert. ;)

I was offering my opinion that eBay has higher prices than local coin shows. Part of the price is due to the commission paid to eBay by the seller. Just my two cents.

I mostly agree. Most of my hobby is non-slab coins. I do buy slab coins but add no extra value to any of them. Just my 2 cents. It's a hobby to me so I don't think about resell value.

I mentioned that I do have a small number of over-appraised coins that I've purchased at a price in line with my idea of real value. It's for show and tell.

The gold coins are bought by gold value only.

20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Ever look at AU58's instead of low-60's coins ?

Draft saved Draft deleted