Two Potential Errors Found Coin Roll Hunting

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MJ1927, May 8, 2021.

1. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

I found these two coins while coin roll hunting, and am no expert on errors so I'd be grateful from any error connoisseurs!

I don't think that the 1969-S penny is an example of the sought after DDO, but looks more like maybe some machine doubling, best seen on the 'Lib' and the 's' – you might need to zoom in to see more clearly – but would love to hear your comments about this one.

The 1949 nickel looks to be missing the lower half of the last digit in the date (perhaps a 9?). And then the opposite side of the coin looks to be partially missing the 'us' in 'Trust.' What sort of error might this be, I am assuming it is not PMD as the error is the same on adjacent sides.

Any help at all would be much appreciated, thanks!

(Quick edit: wasn't sure how to place photos straight in the post, they are instead attachments, apologies)...

Attached Files:

CygnusCC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The 1969S has mechanical/machine doubling. I believe it's not unusual to find MD on that date. Notice the "doubled" MM? Mintmarks were put on the die AFTER it was made (prior to 1989). Hub doubling occurs during the die making process. Good diagnostic trick to remember.

The nickel took a hit. Some of the metal in the digit was displaced. Only PMD

4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Yep. MD on the '69. The nickel is a damaged 1940. The aperture of the 9 is different from the aperture of the damaged 0, they would be the same if they were both nines...the reverse is damage.
    ...jmho...Spark

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Clarification: The nines on a 1949 nickel have differences but are "mostly" alike.
    ...Spark

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I believe Spark is correct and in any case, the nickel is PMD but a cool example of a hit moving metal. A keeper in my book.

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What Sparky said . :happy:

8. MJ1927

MJ1927 New Member

Thanks @Oldhoopster, @Spark1951, and @Mountain Man for the help - figured the penny was machine doubling, but the 1940 was a surprising one to me to find out it was just PMD, but I'll definitely keep that one regardless. Appreciate the input guys!

Draft saved Draft deleted